Sunday, July 19, 2009

One Long "Weekend"

(Yes it's backdated...I was too tired to finish it yesterday so I did it this morning, if you really want to know.)

Usually it's a good thing when your days get thrown off, when a Thursday seems like a Wednesday or a Friday seems like a Saturday, this "weekend", not so much. This past weekend was exhausting both physically, mentally and spiritually.

While grandma was fondly remembered and our family gathered together, it was difficult to physically make it through the extended weekend. I guess that makes sense though 'cause grandma was always running around with no rest for the weary. It was good to spend time with the family, to reminisce and to remember, to talk about the future and to wrestle (figuratively and literally) with the past. There was joy in family and comfort in ritual, plenty of food to go around and more than enough food to keep us well fed.

Then with all the family in town and a little more escapism to be had a trip to the zoo was quickly fashioned. The weather was too nice to be locked inside, it is just too bad all of St. Louis had the same idea. It was quite crowded and parking, uh uh, not an option try the other side of the closed Hwy 40. Much walking ensued and still more eating after all what else can you do? The tiger cubs were active and the Sea Lion show was better than it has been, escapism at its finest - disguised as "education."

Next was a planned movie viewing of Harry Potter, unfortunately I was too exhausted to make it, and, while this may call my fandom into question, I was still too exhausted to make it to the Cards game on Sunday as well. (However, it seems as though the didn't need me they pulled out a victory 2-1 anyway) My apologies to everyone for collapsing the "best laid plans" it was not intentional nor expected and I hope to make it up to everyone that it affected.

Lastly we made it home and collapsed on our already broken couch and took a much needed and appreciated nap, "snuggle puppies" in hand ready to hit the reset button tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)