(Alright after a lazy weekend and some thinking, I guess I'm ready to write this thing.)
Disclaimer: I am not a legislator, nor am I in the medical field. My opinions are anecdotal at best, ignorant at worst but people have been asking for them so here you go.
There are some truth's that I hold when it comes to the health care system in these United States; I believe that everyone does have the right to some medical health care, not necessarily insurance, but care and it is my understanding that the Hippocratic Oath believes likewise. However, I also believe that everyone has the right to choose. Individuals should be able to choose the level of participation they have for their own health care. If someone chooses to ignore warning signs for preventative diseases that's their choice, yet nature doesn't usually care if you have insurance or not.
I either live in "ignorant" bliss about my health care, because as the stats tend to show, I'm at the age where I don't really have to worry about much (knock wood) or I have it too good. Yet, with a child on the way I'm sure this will all change. I'll start looking further into my "health care" situation. I can tell you that since we're having a child the thought of caring for the child without health care, or more specifically insurance, scares the crap out of me. It scares me not only for the cost but the unknown as well, which is why you have insurance in the first place.
I'm lucky, I was born, raised, and currently reside in a "comfortable" health climate. A climate that has, for the most part, always known some form of insurance. This has afforded me quality medical health care. This coupled with the fact that I try to heed the warning signs for preventative medicine allows me to remain in a fairly healthy sphere. I choose to have yearly checkups, I choose to limit fast food, I choose to exercise, etc. My belief is that the government should provide individuals these choices to make.
The question really comes down to what level of health care is acceptable for the "bare minimum" for a country to survive on? Is it that the opportunity is there to provide for citizens health and we choose to ignore it? Is it that everyone has to follow this certain plan? Is it Darwinian survival of the fittest? These are the big existential questions which I don't believe the debate ever really asks. Instead the main questions, as is often the case, are how much is this going to cost and who is going to pay for it?
Overall, as it stands right now, I believe that the price is too high for all of America to have a choice. The choice I have been advanced is not there for many of my fellow Americans. The choice should be there for all. Some will argue that this is a call for "entitlement" while there is some truth to this I instead believe that this is a responsibility.
A government is responsible for the general well being of its citizens, citizens who give of their money to run the services provided. Nobody said that this has to be the most efficient method, and many will argue that it never will be, but an option none the less. I believe in a public option, but I also feel that if there is a better option for me than I should take that instead. If the government ever proves to be the best for me then I would take it, honestly I don't see that happening, but to deny the fact that it ever could is ridiculous. The government (usually) does an effective and efficient job of providing for the common defense and for assuring the rights of its citizens so why can't it write and run an effective and efficient health care option? There are some smart people in government.
So to sum up this rambling I applaud President Obama for trying to make health care options available for the American populous but I believe he and the Democrats need to do a better job of explaining their position and ideas, they're losing the communication battle. I think both sides need to examine their options and do better. It doesn't have to be perfect but the prices are getting too high and that needs to be changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment