Friday, July 03, 2009

Film Friday - Away We Go


"Away We Go" - Starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph, with Jeff Daniels, Catherine O'Hara, Allison Janney, Jim Gaffigan, Carmen Ejogo, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Chris Messina, Melanie Lynskey, and Paul Schneider written by Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida, directed by Sam Mendes. In this independent and sometimes aloof film Krasinski and Rudolph play a couple who are expecting the birth of their first child. They have moved to be closer to his parents who are assumed to assist with creating a "family" for the child, however, seemingly as a catalyst for the plot, they have decided to move away leaving the couple to reconsider their options upon finding a family and a "home" they can call their own. After setting an itinerary full of unique friends, family and places to visit they set out on their journey to find their way home. Throughout their voyage they have a few laughs, learn more about each other, and eventually fall further in love with each other and their unborn daughter. After much pining over this movie (thank you trailers) we were lucky enough in Columbia to nab a copy of the flick at the Ragtag. The film looked cute and funny, which it was, but what was more intriguing was they way the actors latched onto your heart and wouldn't let you go. I instantly bonded with the couple, probably because my wife is pregnant too, and laughed, cried, shouted, and "bounced" with them throughout the film. At the end of the film I wanted more, I wanted to know more about the couple and how their life continued on, in an fiercly odd turn of events I actually want a sequel, I'm not sure it will ever come but maybe that will give me a chance to pen my own. (Ha ha) The only "points" I'm going to deduct from the rating are because of this, I didn't want it to end, it seemed unfinished and I wanted more. 4.75/5 Remotes. Oh and another thing for all you Maya Rudolph haters, you won't even know it was her. She plays a compassionate and thoughtful mom and sister almost devoid of her obvious obnoxiousness from her SNL days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A movie that you actually want more of... a sequel even? WOW! That is unusual, especially for you! You definitely can write your own ending! Just start now and work on it while you wait for your new arrival and then continue as the baby grows! Get working!!