Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day!

Since this week is the day care providers day off we've had Mee-Na, Grandma Jane, come over to watch the monkey but since it is Spring Break and I have the time, it's me and the monkey today. I had to pick one day off the schedule for the week and it just so happened that 3 of my other co-workers are off Monday-Wednesday and a different 3 on Friday, so I chose today...to make it easier on them. Honestly didn't even think about it being opening day until it was pointed out to me by my wife. Go figure...in any case it's Opening Day!

I know that for some people "Opening Day" is just another day but not for me and not for most of St. Louis. Opening Day is; a clean slate, a chance to start over, a time for hope, a time for friendship, a time for family, "it reminds us of all that once was good ... and could be again.", a time for America, a great day. "You know in your heart it's just right" to be in love with baseball, the "chess" of sports.

Yes, there's too much money in it, it is too much of a business now and some of the purity and innocence is gone since the "steroid era" but at it's essential core, which is found in the joy of opening day, baseball is good. Baseball is about the team, about the greater good, (After all what other sport has a play and a stat for "sacrifice"?) about coming together. Long live baseball, and Go Cards!

[And for those of you who are worried about the monkey...she's being a smarty pants and watching Fantasia 2000 right next to me. I'm secure in my nerdery, so is she :-)]

No comments: