Wednesday, March 09, 2011

What are you giving up for Lent?

As a good ol' Catholic school boy I've heard this question more than I would care to admit but it still rings in my ears from those hallowed halls of my youth. I still find it kind of interesting that we, as Catholics, make a big deal about Ash Wednesday and about fasting in general for we are reminded;
“When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance,so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.” - Mt 6:1-6, 16-18
I guess that's why I always thought is was weird that we were supposed to write it down and put in on the wall in grade school or tell everyone what we were giving up like it was some kind of gigantic contest over who could give up the most significant thing. Maybe someday I'll get a significant answer from somebody to appease me as to why we have all the Catholic schoolkids do that.

To me I always try to do something instead of giving something up, to use the 40 days to grow spiritually or emotionally, or both. This season will be no different and with grace I will be successful.  

No comments: