Friday, July 30, 2010

Politics as usual...(Part 1)

Taking a look back at my posts lately its been feast or famine, guess I just can't get into a rhythm. Looks like I won't hit my 100 days 100 posts pledge but there's still time I may sneak them all in. Back to the subject at hand...politics. I'll try and break up my rantings into 3 different parts; National politics, State primary politics, and general political musings. Also as a general rule I hate when people just complain about stuff and don't offer any solutions so, despite any complexity that might arise from these issues, you will have some form of a solution with all of them.

  • AZ SB1070 - Or the "Arizona Anti Illegal Immigration Law"
Alright, so I don't live in Arizona so I don't have first hand knowledge of the situation nor do I have any direct "dog in the fight" but I was born there and this has plagued radio and TV broadcast news for the past couple of days so here's my two cents. This legislation, as it was before the injunction, and to an extent as it is now, is bad. I'm not for illegal immigration but the legislation would lead to unjust discrimination and harassment for citizens who are here legally, also as a legal matter the federal government would only have the rights to limit immigration. It sounds cliche but many of us, including myself are all technically "illegal immigrants." I believe that we, as Americans, have a moral imperative to supply freedom for all people who wish to follow the established behaviors and laws of our country. Once within our borders if individuals subscribe to our laws, our mandates, and respect our culture then they should be afforded the opportunity to become citizens of our country.

So what do we do about the illegal immigrants? First, we stop demonizing the whole of a culture that are just trying to get along and subscribe to the confusing identity known as the American Citizen. A point to which Atlantic Commentator Ta-Nehisi Coates puts much more elegantly here and here.

Secondly we establish stronger, more efficient, immigration courts to allow illegal immigrants who have not committed crimes a pathway to citizenship. If an individual, legal or illegal commits a crime in the states I believe that they should be prosecuted for the crime and if found guilty serve the punishment for the act. However, the act of being in the U.S. "illegally" while complex, is only a federal misdemeanor, and should be dealt with justly with judicial and legal restraints. Instead of using the prison system to harden individuals to a life of crime, which happens through harsh penalties and prison sentencing, use the courts to establish a course of reparation for those crimes and create active citizens not returning criminals. Much like drug courts are being used to treat drug addictions that lead individual behavior to illegal acts, immigration courts would lead individuals to legal citizenship and active public service. If individuals haven't paid their taxes, passed citizenship test, etc. allow them the opportunity to remedy their illegal acts under the supervision of the government that they wish to become a part of.
  • "Mosque at Ground Zero"
Even though I, who like other proponents of religious freedom point out, believe that the Mosque at Ground Zero is neither a Mosque nor at Ground Zero, I think it is time to put my voice out there on this subject. First I firmly believe that while the events of September 11th were a horrible attack not only on the physical structure of America but on the ideals and principles for which our country stands and an event that we shall "never forget", I also believe it was designed, orchestrated and carried out by a band of enemies of the United States who happened to be Muslim, not the Muslim faith itself. Much like Oklahoma City bomber, Timothy McVeigh, who although raised a Catholic, did only act upon his individual beliefs but not the beliefs of the universal Catholic community.

One of the poignant disagreements that the terrorists of that day had with the American landscape was its religious plurality. They riled in disgust that individuals of different faiths could live together and accept one another in a society that accepted contrasting viewpoints of God. It would be a disservice to those who gave their lives, and continue to give their lives for that cause to have that most important of American values, religious freedom, be ignored by the banning of an individual religion.

The building should be a beacon for the world that Americans can live together and we can respect our differences, find strength in our uniqueness and rejoice in the commonality of diversity. If my hometown can have a street corner that has a Catholic Church, Jewish Community Center, and Assemblies of God worship center literally sharing land, surely lower Manhattan and all its quirkiness and eclecticity can do the same.  

-
Those are just two of the major political issues rattling around in my head...what do you think? Are their other issues scrolling across your consciousness? Comment, but let's keep it civil.

No comments: