Monday, August 02, 2010

Politics as usual...(Part 2)

Just a friendly reminder tomorrow, August 3rd, is the primary for the November Election. On this ballot we get to choose the people who are going to run against each other to try to run against each other to represent us, sweet. Plus every Missourian will get their chance to put their two cents in on what they think of "Obamacare" with Proposition C.  So get out there and vote in this exciting aspect of our democracy.

As with last post I'm making another statement on politics, a statement I'm sure not to sit well with some people, including individuals in my own family. That statement, I'm voting no on Proposition C.
  • Proposition C
Proposition C, oh so carefully worded, is thus;
Shall the Missouri Statutes be amended to:

   - Deny the government authority to penalize citizens for refusing to purchase private health insurance or infringe upon the right to offer or accept direct payment for lawful health care services?
  - Modify laws regarding the liquidation of certain domestic insurance companies?
  -It is estimated this proposal will have no immediate costs or savings to state or local governmental entities. However, because of the uncertain interaction of the proposal with implementation of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, future costs to state governmental entities are unknown.
Basically what the legislature is trying to do is to opt out of the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" or the federal health care reform legislation. I'm assuming that even if this passes that the courts will strike it down due to the supremacy clause but for some people I guess they think it's worth the time and money to make the challenge. All that aside, as stated earlier, I'm for the reform and more importantly I'm for doing more than saying "no" to every piece of legislation that comes down the pipe. The system is broke, lets at least do something to fix it!
  • Local Candidates
I'll probably grab a Democratic ticket even though I usually play "dirty politics" and vote on the Republican ticket. The only real race for the Democrats this go round is for Senator and I got to go with my former boss on this one and say Go Robin Go! I haven't decided yet but I might tack on a tally for Susan Montee too.

Regardless of how you will vote, remember to vote and make your voice heard.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Wow, Prop C seems bizarre. I hope it doesn't pass.

Anonymous said...

Took care of my civic duty!