Monday, February 19, 2007

Question of the Week (Week 5)

With it being President's Day and all...

Who is your favorite President, and why?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who would be my favorite president.....of the presidents I have been alive for....that is easy...Clinton, although the competition is Reagan, Bush, and W. I can't say who my favorite president ever would be, perhaps FDR (for leading the greatest generation) or Lincoln (for being Lincoln) or perhaps Clinton is my favorite president for somehow being elected and being popular during the emergence of the Chrisitan Right. Despite my inablility to pick my favorite president I know who the worst president ever is.....JAMES K. POLK!!!
MR

Ian said...

Whoops, I'm late to answer, but I've definitely got to say Jefferson. He was a true renaissance man, and Kennedy put it best when he welcomed forty-nine Nobel Prize winners to the White House: "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House—with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

Klick4MU said...

Well Ian it's the question of the week not the day, you have all week to answer. As for mine I kinda gotta go with FDR. Alphabet soup and all plus he's a 4 termer you gotta love that. I must agree "MR." As for the one I most admire JFK who wouldn't want to be like him?

Just to add a little fuel to the discussion fire here's some Presidential Trivia about our Favorite Presidents:

Jefferson: Jefferson lived to 83 and he said he did so because of his "cold foot baths." Since the age of 23 every morning he would soak his feet in cold water. (So pah to modern medicine with that!)

FDR: The man was huge 6'1 and overcame polio and the Axis powers. As well as being overly superstitious he would never sit at a table set for 13 or begin a trip on a Friday.

Clinton: Clinton was always late, once he made Air Force One wait on the tarmack in LA while he got a $200 haircut from a well known celebrity stylist, Christophe.

Lincoln: Lincoln supposively had a great sense of humor, I would assume it's because of his intellect at one of the Lincoln/Douglas debates Douglas accused him of being two-faced. Lincoln replied If I was two faced do you think I would be wearing this one?

Polk: He had a mullet, and liked it...enough said.

JFK: JFK's dad bought 30,000 copies of his other book Why England Slept. Who knew?

Ian said...

Oh, man! I can't believe I forgot this, but your comment about Lincoln's sense of humor reminded me.

In the early morning hours of September 22, 1842, a young Abraham Lincoln crossed the Mississippi River at Alton, IL on his way to a small island where he would engage in mortal combat with a political adversary. Lincoln had used his sarcastic wit to write anonymous letters to the editor lampooning a political rival, James Shields. Some of his friends joined in and perhaps went a little too far, including suggestions of Shields' inadequacies with the ladies. One of these friends included Lincoln's future wife, Mary Todd. Shields demanded a duel and Lincoln defined the parameters of the duel - broadswords in a pit.

BROADSWORDS IN A PIT! The man was a genius.