Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar weekend, Al Gore is a rockstar?

Before I get any further I must give congratulations to my brother Gabe and the Parkway Central cast and crew of Thoroughly Modern Millie job well done.

Alright, now on with the post. I was originally going to do this post on Friday or Saturday and make projections on the winners of the Oscars, however, I realized that I didn't see enough of the movies to make any good judgements on actors and such. That's the problem with living in a small college town they take the good movies, play them for two weeks, and then put Saw III, Norbit or whatever digital piece of crap they just made into a movie. So with the few movies I did see, I was slightly biased and didn't make any projections. Yet I do have some reactions to the newly minted Oscar winners. So without further ado:

Best Picture: Out of this category I saw two of the 5 nominated, Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed, and I honestly thought that neither one of them would win. Although I loved Little Miss Sunshine and thought The Departed wasn't "epic" enough for the Best Picture. Given the history of past winners I would have thought that The Queen would have walked away with the gold statue, I was wrong. I'm not complaining it was Marty's night and it was well deserved and well earned...which leads me to...

Best Director: I would like to say "It's about friggin time!" Martin Scorsese has directed in some of the most influential and controversial films of our time but until last night has gotten no love from the Academy. Not only do his films tell great stories they do so with raw passion and technical independence and skill. "Marty" has always been willing to question the system and tease the popular imagination and conventional beliefs. As one of my favorite filmmakers I was very happy for his win last night.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen: Once again I didn't get to see most of these films but I have used this category for my video rentals for about the past 6 years, it is slowly becoming one of my favorites. I did like the Acadamy's choice this year, but then again I will admit that I'm a little biased. However, I think the screenplay was very original and very fun. As Steve Carell said of the movie "I hope you leave the movie feeling better about the world." I did and I appreciate the cast and crew's ability to transport us to that better place.

All other things Oscar: An Inconvenient Truth walked away a big winner, with best documentary and best song (?). The only logical thinking I have for that is that Randy Newman has about 20 and all the songs from Dreamgirls won Tony's. Maybe they wanted to spread the wealth. As for the other documentaries I think they're going on the netflix queue too, tough pool. I didn't know who was gonna win for best supporting actor but I was pretty sure the Eddie Murphy wouldn't because as much as the Academy says they don't look at the rest of an individual's body of work I doubt they could forget Daddy Day Care and The Nutty Professor. I think that Jennifer Hudson proved that American Idol and worth the film it's printed on. Congratulations to her but as I asked my wife last night, what could be next for her? Should be interesting to find out. I don't think that neither the Best Actress or Best Actor were a surprise pretty standard Oscar fare. I think Ellen did a great job hosting but I think that the ceremony as a whole was very "busy." They had the dance troop, the "select cut" sequences, the comedy players musical numbers (both the "Ferrell, Black, Rielly" number and the Hollywood Sound Effect Choir), Ellen, and the presenters, it got a little cluttered for my taste but overall I think it went well. What do you think?

No comments: