Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Of King(s) and Presidents"

I, as many others do as well, find it kind of fitting that Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States today, a day after our nation observed the birthday of one of our greatest leaders Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I, as Dr. King did and many others have, have a dream that I "will one day live in a nation where they (all people) will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." I believe that today we as a country grew closer to creating "a more perfect union" and helped to realize Dr. King's dream. We all know that we are not perfect but togther we can be continually striving for perfection, continually working towards peace and equality. For I believe that it is our diversity that unites us and does not divide us. I believe as the President believes;

"that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace."

I, like so many others, am inspired and am full of hope for our future and for the future of our nation. I know the road ahead may be long and bumpy but I hope that tomorrow will shine brighter than today, that true equality can be reached among nations, that true respect of humanity can once again shine forth to world and that I can be a part of that day.

So I would like to again ask; "What can I do to help heal America, to unite "young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled." What can I do, to be one of the many who want to continue the "message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states." (but to show that) "We are, and always will be, the United States of America"?

May God Bless You President Barack Obama and May God Bless America, in it's noble call for equality and freedom for all of the world.

No comments: