Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Great Debate - The "Chess" of Sports

Every once in a while things tend to slow down at work and there is always a great debate that always keeps coming back; What is the "Chess" of Sports? I argue baseball, co-workers argue "American" football and football (Soccer). While I see the merits of each of their arguments, and of course there is no correct answer, it seems to be that I have been out voted in the office so I am taking the debate to the blog-o-sphere. Let's here your point of view readers. I'll give you the "highlights" of each of the sport's arguments and you can either add or rebut them at your leisure.

{In no particular order}


Football - Many players working together in intricate plays to advance a common goal. Time management strategies. Difficult patterns and schemes engage the mind and call for greater skills among the players.

Soccer - The players are all within their individual set places. Time management comes into play with no time outs. Substitutions are essential to the game and are limited. Many Americans do not understand all the complexities e.g. offsides.

Baseball - The players are working as a group for one specific cause. Many different scenarios for each individual play. Substitutions are permanent and limited. Superior strategy can defeat another team without exuberant strength.

Now it's your turn, call me out, convince me, or add to the discussion. Let's keep it civil and discuss the merits of the games not individual players or personalities but the general concepts of each of the games.

{Just for fun}
George Carlin's Baseball vs. Football standup

5 comments:

Ian said...

Chess is the chess of sports. If the definition of a sport is something that they've shown on ESPN, then chess qualifies. Ok, so some may say chess doesn't count. How about Scrabble?

Klick4MU said...

Well I think that will be my next "random" post. What is a sport? Chess by my definition is not and neither is Scrabble I would argue they are both games. Both can be very competitive but I believe they fall in the games category not a sport.

Gman said...

Here's a few offensive formations:
http://www.football.com/playbook/formations.html

Keep in mind, these are just formations, not even looking at all the plays and passing routes that can be run from each formation. And, these are just offensive formations, just a few mind you, and that's not to mention all the defensive formations...

Klick4MU said...

Here's just a couple of the pitching grips:
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_grips.htm
Keep in mind that these are just the grips, not even looking at the situations on when to use each of the pitches, or how to vary your delievery, or how to change arm speed, or how to pitch from the stretch or...

Ricky said...

Baseball, because one action causes a direct reaction, which may cause another reaction. In football you can just run over a guy if your strategy isn't working.

I classify a sport as a game that requires physical coordination. Which is why golf is a sport and poker is not.