
"Milk" - Starring Sean Penn, James Franco, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, and Diego Luna, Directed by Gus Van Sant, written by Dustin Lance Black. I wish that I could say that I was gun ho about going to see this movie the second I saw the trailer, and before the bevy of awards that have since fallen its way, but I can't. That however, doesn't leave me any less impressed with the story, the acting, or the overall quality of the film. Milk follows the "eventful" (his 40th birthday onwards) part of Harvey Milk's life. Harvey Milk was California's first openly gay elected official. Penn's performance does well to show the courage and resolve of Milk's character. The supporting cast all do a superb job of showing the charasmatic resolve of Milk's pull to the world around him. Some of Milk's calling cards, which are made apparent throughout the piece were; "I'm here to recruit you" and "You gotta give 'em hope." This film does just that and enlists the veiwer to work towards constant civil rights for all Americans of every walk of life and gives you confidence in the human spirit leading to the belief that when good people stand together great things can be acheived. At times the story falls a little "sing-songy" and retreats the grittyness of public life which is the only kink in the armor for this fabulous film. 4.75/5 Remotes
No comments:
Post a Comment