So I actually got a full day off on Saturday, really it happened! So starting on Friday night and spilling into Saturday it was stay at home movie time! So here is the netflix review and afterwards I'll tell you about my bad day yesterday and why there was no post or question of the week.
"Babel" - Starring Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchette, Adriana Barraza, Rinko Kikuchi, Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu and Written by Guillermo Arriaga. Since this movie was so highly honored with Oscar nods including; 2 best supporting actresses, best picture, best original screenplay, and best director "Babel" quickly made its way up the netflix queue. However, I don't quite think it lived up to the hype. Although I can see why the best supporting actresses got their nods and the "originality" of the screenplay was indeed good, yet the story was drawn out and at times the film seemed very melodramatic and "over the top." Having seen 21 grams I kinda knew what to expect and for the most part; style, dialogue, camera direction, I got what I expected artsy. Even the underlying "bottom line" was the same, family and I can understand and appreciate it, the film overall seemed a little bit much though. 3.5/5 remotes
"Shut up and Sing" - Starring the Dixie Chicks This is the documentary of the group during and after lead singer Natalie Maines' infamous comment about George W. Bush. and their struggle to find their identity after being banned from the country music sphere. Anyone who has paid any attention to this or my other blog or even knows anything about me knows that Katy dragged me into liking the Chicks. However, their crusade to say anything they want anywhere they want is truly inspiring and is well documented in the film. This film is more about their development and growth as a group as a result of the infamous comment. The documentary shows their creative process and the difficulties that surrounded them to stay as a cohesive unit and to unleash their creativity and individuality in an increasingly similar musical community. As far as documentaries go it was pretty good. 4/5 remotes
"Beyond the Sea" - Starring Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman, and Bob Hoskins and the music of Bobby Darin. This "labor of love" from Kevin Spacey tells the story of legendary entertainment act Bobby Darin. It follows his life and his relationships throughout his career and throughout his life. Spacey's acting is spot on and his dancing and musical numbers are very entertaining. The plot twists around between a straight telling of his life and bends and pivots into an enjoyable "roller coaster" of straight fact and fiction. The soundtrack, as expected, is great and Kevin Spacey is a pretty good singer to boot. In watching the special features on the DVD you learn that all the music is "redone" for the film but follows the music left by Bobby Darin, it is very well done, very well done indeed. Very entertaining movie. 4/5 remotes
Onto the Bad Day...most of you know that Monday is the premium day for new posts and the "Question of the Week" well yesterday was bad so I didn't get to do it...here's why. Well since my wife and I stayed up to watch the Discovery Channel special on "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" and the discussion afterwards so it was late before we fell asleep. Well we both had to be at work on Monday. We weren't up in time and so we were both late to work and that's never fun. When at work the damn phone kept ringing because everyone wants rooms in Columbia for this weekend...that's not going to happen because MSHAA has basketball, USA swim has a tournament, and the Jaycees or somebody has a soccer tournament in Columbia so not going to happen! Then you get angry people yelling at you about something you can do nothing about and wanting "to speak to your manager." Then when I got home and let our two lovely dogs out they had decided to eat the comforter on the bed...again. GOOO! Then when I went out to get the mail the one piece of mail in there was from an employer who I interviewed with saying, guess what...no job for you! Fun again. Then while I was making dinner, stir fry and fried rice, I accidentally heated the oil for too long and...you guessed it smoke alarm went off, freaking out the dogs and causing them to enter into a chorus of lovely barking with the smoke alarm. Nice. The icing on the cake, I accidentally dropped my ice cream bowl off of the nightstand which took a nice little chip off the side of it. Doh! Anyway so that's why there was no post and no question of the week. I'm trying to complete it now. So there you go sorry about the long post.
No comments:
Post a Comment