First some good news, MU 62-ku 60, and I was there! Ricky your prediction was correct and "they who shall not be named" did not beat us at home now hopefully we can take it to them in Lawrence.
_____________________________________________________
Secondly, I'm really tired about these "professionals" and their drug problem. It's about time to end all of this. For those of you who have been living in a sports "cave" for the past 4 days, Yankees slugger A-Rod has admitted to using performance enhancing drugs (PED) during his days as a Texas Ranger, and recently Miguel Tejada will be charged with not speaking truthfully to a federal agent about his dealings with PED's. While I do not condone their behavior or any steroid use at all, with the exception of a clinically diagnosed medical condition and with the express intent of physical recovery and utmost necessity, not vanity, I'm about done with baseball's leadership and baseball's union and their constant inactivity to clean up the game.
On St. Patrick's day in 2005 Congress decided to step in an question Major League players on their use and knowledge on the "culture of steroids" in "the bigs," yet they have failed to make any significant strides to relieve the problem as well. While my view is slighted on the "headliner" Mark McGwire's testimony, I must agree with him on one thing...LET'S MOVE FORWARD. (Whether he himself used illegal, at the time, drugs or not may never be known and is a different discussion.)
From there baseball has tried to implement a more stringent policy on banned substances which more or less has worked. However, in my opinion, the testing needs to be more stringent and better handled. I'm tired of these "professionals" sullying the game that I love. Get back to the game, make steroids a dark period of baseball's past and return to the joyfull innocence if its intent.
Both the owners and the union are WRONG!
The owners are wrong by protecting their wallets and not being more stringent on a testing policy. They care more about higher revenue then cleaning up the game. Well the writing on the wall that the owners need to see is that it is the integrity of the game, that they are selling. They are not selling the hot dogs, the players, the run tallies, or the suites to corporate entities. They are selling bond between fathers and sons, the unifying force of the team, the intricate strategy, the "smell of the glove", that is why people come. "For it's peace they like and money they have." Once the genuine goodness of the game is gone so too will the fans, and their income, leave.
The union is wrong because they must know that the care for their member must be priority number one. Steroids, time and time again, have been proven to be detrimental and deadly to anyone using them illegally or improperly. The chasing of individual compensation and heroism is contradictory to the essence of the game, it is a team sport and should be view as such. When a teammate falls all should fall with them to pick them up and when a teammate pays the ultimate price serious introspection and reflection should be given to why they have fallen at what can be done to make sure it never happens again.
I'm not naive enough to believe that there is any way of testing completely the use of steroids. If someone wants to cheat they will find a way, but in could be much harder to cheat and the culture of baseball can change. The players, the owners, and even the fans must remember "what once was good, and could be again." When will the leadership (owners and union) of this paramount league "step up to the plate" as a team and test for substances, decry the use of steroids and get back to the game we have grown to love?
4 comments:
I always have a lot to say. Sorry. First, I think it's great A-Rod admitted to PEDs. Seriously, the more honest players are the more fans will start to trust again. I would also like to go on the record that I don't think A-ROD ever took HGH and may even be one of the 8 to only take over the counter substances.
I blame....pretty much everyone. Players for doing it, managers for not caring, owners for benefiting. But I really blame Bud Selig and the Union.
I bet the NFL has lots of users. But Football gets off with a free pass. Why? They don't air the dirty laundry. The NFL takes care of its problems in house and has for years so that Congress isn't worried about the NFL.
Selig waited to long to push for testing and the Union turned the blind eye to get the big contracts. Until it was so bad people demanded to know how bad, therefore airing out all the dirty laundry. I still think Selig is inept and he is a big reason why the NFL has taken over as America's sport.
Ricky, I agree, and so does ESPN's Bryant Howard. Here's an excellent column directed towards Bud Selig and the league.. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=3899274
Here's another scathing review of Bud Selig and the Union's performance. Can I really be "scooping" all these guys? http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9215044/Selig-needs-to-help-baseball-move-forward?MSNHPHMA
Now Bud doesn't want to take the blame. Right. He said "I tried to get testing in 1995 but the Union didn't want it." MLB got testing in 2004. 9 years to get steroid testing is terrible. You had better believe that if Pres. Bush has been Commish (almost happened) that he would have found a way to get the Union to agree! (You are either for steroid testing, or with the terrorists).
Bud Selig has no leadership. How can you blame others when you are the top dog? Sure players, managers and owners didn't speak up, but really if you are the Commish, you make it happen. Period.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3912702
Post a Comment