Friday, February 13, 2009

Film Fridays - He's Just Not That Into You, Paris,Je T'aime (Paris I Love You), Dreamgirls

I took a couple of days off to have a little "staycation "with my wife at home. We, of course, watched some movies. Here are the reviews. (So yes this is backdated but deal with it!)





"He's Just Not That Into You" - Starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long, Bradley Cooper, Ben Affleck, Kevin Connelly, and Drew Barrymore, written by Greg Behrendt (book), Liz Tuccillo (book), Abby Kohn (screenplay) and Marc Silverstein (screenplay) and directed by Ken Kwapis. Despite the star power bursting at the seems for this movie, I was "just not that into it." But before you give me the age old line that "I'm a guy and it wasn't made for you" let me say that I can appreciate a movie for it's story lines, characters and likability after all "When Harry Met Sally","Love Actually" and "Notting Hill" are some of my favorites. Yet in "into you" the story line is lacking humor, reliability, and a "certain spark" that typical of a good romantic comedy. The storyline(s) are too mismatched together and the movie doesn't flow well. This isn't the typical guy meets girl conversational but it probably would have been a better movie if it was. Goodwin's likability and cuteness steals the show but the rest of the cast didn't put up much of a fight for best performance titles. Unfortunately for Goodwin though her shoulders just weren't strong enough to hold up the lackluster dialogue and absent humor of the script. 2/5 Remotes


"Paris, Je T'Aime" - Starring the city of Paris, and too many actors to name, concept by Tristan Carné, and pieced together by Emmanuel Benbihy, directors too many to name. This film is difficult to explain but a pleasure to watch. The concept is simple 20 areas or neighborhoods within the Paris area and 20 directors telling 20 different stories all linked to the "city of love" and the "city of lights" Paris. The stories range from a mother grieving, 'mimes voyaging through Paris, a shady subway experience, Paris vampires, a tourist's point of view and of course unrequited and attained love, after all this is Paris. Although I've never been to Europe (a fact that my brothers all hold over my head) this film presents a great kaleidoscope of perspectives from both foreign and domestic film makers. The stories are all expertly told, purposefully well acted, and all "human." A great film and I can't wait to watch the companion piece to New York whenever they decide to release it on DVD. Since Paris is on the other side of the ocean, I've never been there and some of the "shorts" seemed longer than others, but overall it was heartwarming and enjoyable for a Valentine's Day Weekend 4/5 Remotes

"Dreamgirls" - Starring Beyoncé Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Anika Noni Rose, Danny Glover, Keith Robinson (III) and "introducing" Jennifer Hudson written by Tom Eyen (book) and written (screenplay) and directed by Bill Condon. Yeah I know this has been out for a while but we haven't seen it, but I think it was worth the wait. The "dreamgirls" of Knowles, Rose, and Hudson are exceptional throughout the film. Hudson's ability is exceptional and she commands your attention when on the screen, a well worthy Oscar award winner. On top of the great performance of the ladies, Foxx and Murphy are great and are in top form, which is a relief especially from Murphy's other recent rolls. (Norbit, Nutty Professor, Dave) The music is great and exceptionally performed a very entertaining film, a little long at times but another good "snuggle up and watch movie" for the weekend. 4/5 Remotes

No comments: