It's that time again, no not the time for new shows to start popping up on the networks (see writer's strike), not the beginning of another American Idol (whoopidie doo), but U.S. Presidential primary time. With two of the biggest ones out of the way (Iowa and New Hampshire), and one occurring tomorrow or maybe today depending on when I finish this (Michigan), it's time to make a run towards "Super Tuesday," and time for me to jump in. With everyone from the Simpsons to Keith Olbermann making predictions and commentaries about one of this nation's strangest practices, it's time for me to join the discussion.
I'm gonna start with a general comment about the process first then we'll get into specifics about the individual caucuses and primaries that have already occurred and my feelings toward this specific race. Overall I think the electoral college is one of the craziest concepts in politics today and it might be time to rethink it and participate a direct election. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that the current situation, and primary process, isn't completely about money. It's evident to me these early primaries are about who has money, who's spending money and who is trying to get more money. The beginning processes, the pundits tell us is about hearing the people's voice and about electability, however, with the minimal population in Iowa and New Hampshire, how can you get an accurate picture of the majority? What it boils down to is who can spend money to make money. The smoke screen is the argument about issues, the real idea is to gain momentum and more importantly backers/donors with money. I personally believe that since Kennedy's campaign the need for money (TV dollars) has completely overshadowed the need for solutions of our country's most looming social and economic problems. However, I do have some hope.
My candidate, Richardson, has already fallen by the wayside on the road to the White House, so it leaves me in the political gold mine of an "undecided" voter. Within the framework of a two party system I am limited to several choices, none of which have impressed me to the point of earning my vote, however I do still have some hope. It seems as though the word for this season is change and I am fine with this being the buzz word of this primary season for as Missouri native Sheryl Crow sang "a change would do you good". However, it seems the larger debate is who can bring this change about in today's American society? My answer, the voters. The polling, though flawed, has told us one thing about this early primary season; the electorate is changing. A new influx of younger, more idealistic, more active voters is coming to the forefront and the old tried and true voter is facing a challenge from these new participants to the system. This to me is the most exciting part of "Primary Fever." I believe that this change is the most significant for the primary process. It gives me promise for the future that whatever challenges this country and the world faces there are new ideas and solutions waiting to be tried. Yes some, if not many of these new ideas will fail but it is the constant pursuit of betterment and tolerance that truly is the dream for the future. So inform yourself, vote, and be a part of the process. Yes, the system is a maze for the individual to complete. Yes, it is difficult to overcome the adversity of loneliness and the pressure of an over-expectant society but with your voice you can be heard, and with many voices their can be change. So regardless of your party affiliation or your stance on any of the issues, VOTE, be an agent of change and "be the change you want to see in the world"
3 comments:
There's something interesting about the money aspect—money can't buy elections. Period. In the fantastic book Freakonomics (which has an even better blog), a couple of economists crunch the numbers and come to the conclusion that how much money a candidate spends matters very little. Here is an exerpt from the book detailing this phenomenon, which is worth reading!
Yeah Freakonomics is on my to read list...and I actually have a copy, I just don't read that much. I wish they would put it in convienent movie form.
I'm going to vote for Ralph Wiggum for his stance on using words instead of using the Boom Booms.
Post a Comment