Friday, January 04, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War



"Charlie Wilson's War" - Starring Tom Hanks, Julie Roberts, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, with Amy Adams. Directed by Mike Nichols based on a book by George Crile and screenplay by Aaron Sorkin.

When I first heard that Aaron Sorkin was writing anything I wanted to go see it, then I heard that the acting crew was joining this I got a little worried but a little excited. I have this theory that if you use the big names the script usually lacks, however in this case I was gladly mistaken. Hanks, Roberts and Hoffman do great work and pull of this precise and well timed script written by Sorkin. The story is important to understand even though it takes place during "most of" my childhood and before I was even remotely interested in the political system or the ways of the world. Anyway back to the film, it was expertly timed and tells the story of the "hidden" war the U.S. fought in Afghanistan against the Soviets and how one congressman made a difference. This movie was both encouraging and dis-heartening (much like Sorkin's other work) it shows the power of individuals within the system but also shows the difficulties one would have to overcome the system to make a difference. The final quote and scenes left on the screen is one that will haunt anyone who has aspirations of making a change or anyone who is left "paying attention" in today's political world. (See spoiler alert below) Overall the film was very well done and the dialogue was expertly and was admittedly, surprisingly delivered. Good movie 4/5 Remotes

-SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT -

Final Quote: "These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... and then we 'fudged' up the endgame." -Charlie Wilson (This quote is on the screen at the end of the film after a congressional committee meeting in which the appropriations for a school in Afghanistan were denied)

No comments: