Monday, January 28, 2008

Little Victories - Ender's Game


Alright so one of the things that they (whoever, they are) say you should do when trying to accomplish your goals is to take pride in the little victories, well today, on this post I will do just that. Over the weekend I completed a book, yes a whole and complete book. Granted it wasn't "War and Peace" but it was still a complete book without any pictures. The book, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card is one that a friend recommended years ago and I never read. It was pretty good and they are making it into a movie so I can articulately argue whether or not it was better than the book. Anyway the book was very interesting and very well written.
The general plot is Ender is chosen to attend a military battle school to complete training in order to defend earth from an alien race known as "the buggers." It then follows his journey with his classmates, teachers and enemies enlightening the youth and figuring promently in him growing up. However, it's more of a novel about humanity and the characteristics that are dwelling within individuals and the way in which we teach or cultivate these individual aspects of human life. It deals with family, enemies, politics, and even tosses in a little sci-fi for flavor. I'm not really one to "spoil" things so I won't go to heavily into the plot and story but will say that I enjoyed the flow of the novel and the realistic aspect of it (despite it being set in the future). Card's descriptions of the situations that Ender are put into are distinctly human and allow the reader to discuss and deliberate on their own individual lives what they mean and how they can be developed.
Due to my little experience in reading for fun I won't set a rating and I won't go into all the aspects of the english language, basically because I don't know them and it's just not a good thing to do, but this was a good read and hopefully I can keep it up. Hoping for at least 30 minutes a day so I might be able to stick to my goal.

No comments: