So here we were a nation excited about a sport that gets little love and then...aww man. It was a great game and it did take "extra time" to decide a winner. I guess that we'll have to keep calling it fubol, but we all know that it's really "soccer". Having never won an intramural title myself I know how difficult those championships are but congrats on a good run team America. I'm not sure I'll watch the rest of the brackets but to Ricky's comment I do know players on more than just the American team which in and of itself is a positive step to becoming more familiar with the world's more popular sport.We'll just have to wait another 4 years to try and avenge our two losses now, and everyone knows that you don't want to face a soccer team scorned...especially twice.
After leaving (South) Africa it was then time to leap "Into the Woods". Columbia Entertainment Company had this as their final show of the their 31st season. Might I just say it was a great way to close out the season. I had never seen the show before and from what I heard was a little nervous for the cast and crew due to the rumors of the lyrical and musical difficulty, however, my fears were all for not it was a very entertaining performance of a highly technical show.
(Spoiler Alert)
In Sondheim's skewering of the classic fairy tales the audience is taken through a traditional musical, in reverse. The classic characters of Cinderella, the baker, the baker's wife, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack (of beanstalk fame) and many more are sent off "into the woods" to fulfill their individual wishes yet along the way important lessons are learned. The first act ends with the traditional "happy ending" and according to wikipedia is the conclusion of the show for the "child friendly" version. Yet without the continuation of the second act the dark, but none the less important, continuation of the story is not known. Here the moralities of responsibility, parenthood, growing up, fidelity and honesty are paramount and the some of the characters are driven to the bleakest of consequences for not remaining true to their virtues.
(End Spoiler Alert)
The Columbia Entertainment Company performed the show with professional precision and strong vocal integrity. The strong adult cast led the audience in a whimsical voyage the kept the show-goers wrapped within the story and connecting with the characters. The young cast blended perfectly with their "parental" counterparts with seamless unity and strength truly "no one (was) alone". The blended use of comical seriousness was entertaining throughout and held the community captive in an excellent show while still presenting the important message of the musical fable. Job well done and most entertaining of performances.
No comments:
Post a Comment