Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What's old is new again.

This was going to be a post just about the renewal of the academic year but...with recent events the title stands for a little more.

Ah fall, once again we begin the ritual of educating our youth, or in some cases our old. It's part of what I love about living in a "college town" every fall (or late summer depending on how you look at it) the best and the brightest file into their dorm rooms and long abandoned apartments to hit the books and reexamine the world anew. While some will argue that college is about grades or tests and others will elucidate their drinking habits and party times as the reason they went to college, but my belief is still that our ritual of degree conferring is simply a way to "grow up."

In leaving the nest and pursuing individual endeavors, whether they be academic, personal, professional, or asinine an individual will quickly learn to grow up. Responsibilities can and will sneak up on you and you will be forced to accept them or deny them as your abilities will or will not allow. In any case what is old is new again and I wish I was among them filing into the hallowed halls of academia.

-John Smoltz, welcome to the Cardinals. As Colin Cowherd always points out fans are insanely loyal to their team and no matter what has happened in the past when the superstar puts on their team's uniform they have done no wrong and are their newest hero. Smoltz's sins are minimal when it comes to the Cardinals (2 wins 1.20 ERA, 12 Strikeouts in '96 NLCS) we're willing to forgive and forget if he helps take us deep into the post-season and possibly the World Series again. However, at age 42 what is old is definitely new again.

- Brett Favre is a friggin' Viking?!?. I'm a Packer backer, and admittedly it is partially because of when Favre was at the helm, so what the hell? I respect the drive not to quit but he, to me, is disrespecting his teammates and other players in the league by his retiring shenanigans. How are you supposed to build a team chemistry without showing up? I don't think that Brett joined the Vikings just to beat the Packers but, come on! Now the Vikings are favored to win the division and with a hall of fame QB, why not? Ugh, I'm just tired of the drama and Mr. Favre your standing is dropping considerably in this fan's eyes. This retiring crap was definitely old but is new again!

No comments: