Sure I was just a little bit under John Hughes heyday but I still knew his movies, who didn't? Even the most artsy, fartsy of critics would have to recognize Hughes' brilliance in writing true to heart scripts that both entertain and question. Hughes' mind penned some of the paramount characters of my blossoming youth; Clark Griswold, Uncle Buck, Principal "Dick", "Lisa", and of course Bueller, Bueller...anybody Bueller, not to mention some of the funniest scenes that I can remember from even some of his lesser known films. While his most recent work may have missed the mark just slightly, his resume of "near-perfect" films will forever linger in the celluloid annals of history.
Top 10 Greatest Quotes of John Hughes' Films;
Honorable Mention: No words, just Jennifer Connelly riding a Target horse in Career Opportunities.
10. "Roll 'em up" - Vacation
9. "I loathe the bus. There has to be a more dignified mode of transportation." - Sixteen Candles
8. "The harder you hit me the more I'll know you love me" - Curly Sue
7. "I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my ass" (See the edited version on Thanksgiving, "Buzz's" mouth is open and the word is "butt" hil-arious!) - Home Alone
6. "There aint nothin' left on that plate but fat and gristle" - The Great Outdoors
5. "Hey kids there's Big Ben, Parliament" - European Vacation
4. "When you grow up, your heart dies." - The Breakfast Club
3. Tie -"You can start by wiping that frickin' dumb-ass smile off your rosey, frickin' cheeks! Then you can give me a frickin' automobile...Oh boy, what? You're fricked!" - "You're going the wrong way, You're going the WRONG WAY!" - Planes, Trains and Automobiles
2. Tie - "Hey if any of you are looking for any last minute gift ideas, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here, tonight! I want him brought here from his happy holiday slumber over on melody lane with all the other rich folks..." - "Don't throw me down Clark" (Alright this whole friggin movie is the best I could probably quote the whole thing right now!) - Christmas Vacation
1. Tie - "Ferris Bueller, you're my hero" - "Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads, they all adore him. They think he's a rightous dude" - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Rest in Peace, John Hughes, rest in peace...thanks for the memories.
2 comments:
I didn't realize he was behind the Vacation movies.
PS you're red/white/blue theme makes my retinas bleed. just saying.
I guess the month of Doogie Howser style blogging is up so I'll put it back to "normal".
Post a Comment