Sunday, March 30, 2008

Reality Check (Have I lost touch with the world or is the world going crazy?)

When I was in high school my English teacher and Honors sponsor, Mrs. Mullins, had a quote streaming across the "fishbowl office" that was the English department's home. The quote read "What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular." Now a quick google/yahoo search has attributed that quote to several different people including Einstein, Jefferson, and Truman so I'm not sure who said it first but none-the-less the idea is still strikingly honest and perplexing. The reason I bring this up because I often wonder is what I'm doing "right" or is it "popular" because often enough the conclusion is never both. Here are a couple of quandries that are rifling through my head at this moment...

This past friday there was a Today show piece (Video number 23842058 on-line) that I caught part of before I rushed out the the door to work and a Columbia Missourian piece when I got to work that deeply disturbed me. The pieces told the story of kids "ultimate/cage fighting." Yes, the proponents of this will call it mixed martial arts and will argue that it teaches the kids discipline, I however find it abhorrently violent and inappropriate. Should we just teach our kids that it's ok to fight and to "win at all costs"? What ever happened to cultivating and nurturing our children's sense of self worth in academics and non-violent pursuits. Some will say that this is just the same as teaching our youth a martial art, however, I disagree at many levels. Sufficed to say the lowest level the Karate, or Judo, or whatever teaches self-defense and honor with discipline not win at all costs. Now I'm not naïve enough to say the world does not live without conflict or competition but this is not the way to introduce our youth to those ideas. This is not a great way to promote the "Show-Me State," instead allows the ridiculous stereotyping and degrading conversation to continue.

On another note what the hell is going on in our political system? Last time I checked the whole purpose of our representative democracy was to unite the people and to "institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." How does bickering in a he said, she said battle within the Democratic party do anything to secure our safety and happiness. How does asking the daughter of a candidate about her father's extra-marital affairs do anything to "promote the general welfare"? Since when has talking been a bad idea Mr. John McCain? (He's stated on more than one account that he would not talk to Iran, or open strong diplomatic ties with the Russians.) Seriously what the heck is going on here? Am I out of touch or is the world in a crazy spiral on illogical behavior?

Finally, on a little bit of a lighter note, what the heck is going on with Hollywood lately? Are their any good movies to be had, or is this just the effect of a writer's strike? Really, Shutter, Prom Night, College Road Trip, what the hell are these things? Could we get a movie with a plot some depth, maybe some decent acting. I guess my theory is if we stop going to these things they might go away, right?

Well I guess those are just my opinions care to agree, disagree, discuss?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that those kids' parents have taught them the difference between fighting in a cage and fighting b/c you are angry at the school bully...right? I'm sure we and future geneations have nothing to worry about.

Nope, nope, I think we're screwed.

Ricky said...

I think what we are experiencing is the start of a legitimate generation gap. Seriously, it's sad but true. Some say "Scream-O" is a true art form in the music industry. Even I think it's a lame way to work out feelings and I certainly don't need to hear about it.

Some think MMA is a great sport. Sure, as long as the martial arts is where it starts. I think it should progress to that point, not start there. Nobody sends there kids to Professional wrestling class anymore....do they?

If you want discipline in sports, I recomend golf. Nothing will test will power and patience more. Tiger Tiger Woods yall.

Ian said...

Re: Hollywood, yeah, it's probably the effects of the writers' strike. I haven't seen it but Be Kind Rewind is supposed to be good.

Jenni said...

the movies suck right now because it is early spring. we're in that yearly lull between the fall/holiday "oscar contendars" and the big "summer blockbusters."
i don't think the writer's strike is supposed to be felt at the movies for another 18 months or so. it takes a long time to make a movie.