I know, I know, I said that up next was some movie reviews but before I get to those I must first talk about Opening Day.
For those of you who didn't know baseball has officially started but it started in a "weird" way this year. In an attempt to broaden baseball's fan base MLB decided to start the season in Tokyo, Japan. As a fan I think it's a little weird as a person who understands that baseball has slowly become "a business" I understand the decision. At least they did it at the beginning of the season and not in the middle of it so the players can somewhat adjust to the time shift. Anywho, I'm stoked about it and I'm thinking about getting up at 5:00 tomorrow to catch "Game 2" of the newly minted series. (My wife may have some different ideas) As it stands though Boston won 6-5 over Oakland in an extra inning come from behind pretty exciting game.
On to the movie reviews...for those who care...

"Michael Clayton" - Starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, and Sydney Pollack, written and directed by Tony Gilroy. So this movie came out around 2 days before the Oscars and well I bumped it up the netflix queue to try and get it before the show. However that was not the case it came about a week after. However, I can understand how all the nominations were handed out, yet the one award it did receive I'm not so sure about. The one Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress to Tilda Swinton, I disagree it seems like they gave it to here for losing her British accent and putting on a (in my opinion) a poor mid western "twang." Anyway back to the movie the movie revolves around Michael Clayton (Clooney) a lawyer who is a "fixer" for a giant law firm who is called into service fixing a big mishap with one of the partners. It's a crime drama that is smoothly written and sleekly directed and acting. All the players work extremely well together and the dialogue is top notch. It's not too terribly action packed but the drama and tension tied with great performances by the entire cast leads this to a good to great film. 4/5 Remotes
"Weeds" - Starring Mary-Louise Parker, Elizabeth Perkins, Kevin Nealon, Romany Malco, and Tonye Patano, with (strong showings from) Hunter Parrish, Alexander Gould, Justin Kirk, Allie Grant, and Indigo written/created by Jenji Kohan. Alright so I know this isn't a movie but it came though on the netflix queue since I don't get Showtime in any of its forms. This is a series about a suburban house wife who is widowed unexpectedly and turns to a life of marijuana dealing to keep up her charade of a normal suburban housewife with a family and civic community to concern herself about. The series takes an "American Beauty" way of looking at life a brilliantly satirizes suburban life. The humor pokes fun at many different angles and finds new humor in "old" situations. The dry wit of the writers and directors is acted superbly in this diverse cast, of which the younger (Parrish, Gould, and Grant) sometimes steal the show. Led by their veteran "parents" they work together to highlight the cynicism, irony, and sometimes depressingly humorous time of life. Even for those who are trying to keep their noses clean this a great chance to laugh your way through life. 4/5 Remotes
No comments:
Post a Comment