
It's that time again, time to don the cloak of nationalistic pride and root the winter athletes on to victory in their "8 minutes*" of glory. While I don't, like many people, like the winter Olympics nearly as much as the summer Olympics I'm still a great fan of the pageantry and symbolism that the Olympics present. I think its a chance for us as Americans to join the international community and root for truly global sports. Yes, I know that the African continent is definitely under represented but it's getting better and Europe, Asia, and even South America are actively participating in this year's games. It's a chance to explore other cultures through the experience of active competition. As stated in an earlier post the Olympics "In theory, (are) all that is good with competition; the quest to better yourself, to be the best, to be at the pinnacle of athleticism and focus, and in doing so honor and respect different cultures all among the same playing field of sport." and it gets me every time. Time for some late nights (not like they weren't already late with an infant) staying up to watch the highlights and dive into the competition. Looking forward to seeing curling again, which I still long to actually try, and to seeing the Colbert Report report live from Vancouver. Along with the other standard awesomeness of ski jumping, nordic combines, bobsledding and biathlon. Go Olympics!
1 comment:
Great writing! Looking forward to seeing the 2010 Olympics! Go, USA!
Post a Comment