
Alright I'm a sucker for the sentimental but...the Olympics are finally here! In theory, all that is good with competition; the quest to better yourself, to be the best, to be at the pinnacle of athleticism and focus, and in doing so honor and respect different cultures all among the same playing field of sport. It's great! Now I know some will use this stage to protest the human rights violations and political and religious oppression of the Chinese government and that's all fine and good there are very valid points to be made on that subject, but I have to say, along with many others, that this should be about the athletes and the people of China. Use this as an opportunity to better the government but don't forget the culture and history of a people. How many Americans don't agree with the policies of a certain administration or any citizen not agree and partake in the malicious events of any government? Respect the people and the competition, keep the dialogue "above the belt."
I love the Olympics, I love the "sucker" stories about those who really understand that it's an honor to compete. For me it's not about just the medal count it's about the sports, the competition, the camaraderie that happens. The concept of an Olympic village is wonderful to me. What I wouldn't do to be a part of one, to talk with different countries, different cultures, to be around the best. Amazing. I hope there are more memories, more lessens, more joy to come, and that the world can come together in some small way during these next couple of weeks.
My top 5 "personal" Summer Olympic memories;
5) 1996 Atlanta Games - yeah I know they were marked by tragedy but it put the U.S. back on the international stage and I can remember having a great sense of pride that the Olympics were here. That and who can forget Muhammad Ali lighting the torch, an amazing transformation from national scorn to national pride.
4) 1992 Barcelona Games - Basketball "Dream Team" - Barkley, Bird, Johnson, Robinson, Malone, and of course, Jordan. I don't even really like basketball but I remember getting sucked into the hype and I even had a hat. It's important to note that the U.S. voted against allowing professional players to play in the game.
3) 2000 Sydney Games - Rulon Gardner defeats the Russian juggernaut of Alexander Karelin in Greco-Roman wrestling. Great pride and great effort went into that win and he inspired a nation. Not quite as good as the "Miracle on Ice" but pretty good none the less.
2) 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004 - Opening Ceremonies, yeah their official title is something along the lines of "Cultural Display" but I have to admit the history and styles of the individual countries are amazing. I even used them in a paper for an example of a modern "cultural religion." (If it wasn't on an unattainable zip drive, I would put it online for you all to read, right as if that was gonna happen)
1) Alright so this wasn't officially at the games but it was with an Olympian. 1997 my brothers and I went to go visit my dad in Colorado for the summer and when we got of the plane and onto the tram to the car my younger Gary pointed out someone on the train he thought was an Olympian. She was, Amy Van Dyken. She was very cordial and I remember she signed a 1996 Olympic trading card for us all (which unfortunately has escaped me). I just remember they did a pretty big thing about how she was asthmatic and well so am I so she served as pretty good motivation to go out and do things. It was a little thing but I think of it as our "little" Olympic moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment