Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The "American People"

For the most part I like to keep this blog lighthearted and somewhat spirited but tonight I would like to fire from the gut and go on a little bit of a rant. If you don't like that wait for the next post.


This past weekend I was unable to catch Meet the Press on Sunday but instead watched it yesterday and that tied with the weekend before's Meet the Press I have a slight beef with our elected officials and their ties to the voice of the "American People." There's always someone who wants to speak to what the "American People" want. Politicians and pundits will site polls and focus groups and they'll spin local elections and caucuses whichever way they want to mean what the "American People" want. I'm here to say that in my opinion, they all need to shut up.


In my opinion the "American People" are extremely complicated and diverse, they are not to be summed up in a simple misnomer. The "American People" cannot be summed up in a single poll, talking point or memo. Some of the "American People," believe evolution isn't true, some believe it is. Some of the "American People" believe in trickle down economics some believe in using the Government to help stimulate the economy. Some of the "American People" believe in a woman's right to choose, some believe in limiting the choice through Government. Some of the "American People" think that Global Warming is a man-made phenomenon some believe it's only natural. These are only a few of the dichotomies launched among the "American People," but the "American People" are more than just their divisive beliefs, in my opinion, the "American People" all believe in one thing, our democracy.


In my opinion, most of the "American People" all subscribe to a rule of law and the process of electing officials. We have a process of elections which decide what the "American People" want at that time. Our elected officials are then supposed to not only represent us but vote to their conscience as well at that time. However, the main objective under the constitution is "to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity." (italics my own) I believe the "American People" care more about what it means to be an American over the issues that divide the Country, issues are not meant to divide and win elections but instead to be discussed and to overall "promote the general Welfare."


My belief of the "American People" is that they want a government that works, politicians that discuss issues and a better life for themselves, their friends and their family. Why don't we focus on making the country better instead of dividing the people into separate groups? I think we should leave the divisiveness to our sports teams. From now on instead of saying the "American People" let's now say I believe, or this poll states, or according to this information I believe that, let us leave out the "American People." The "American People" are too big to sum up, let's leave that to our elections, not our sound bites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused because you say "Why don't we focus on making the country better instead of dividing the people into separate groups? I think we should leave the divisiveness to our sports teams," while at the same time arguing that we shouldn't use a collective term because "the American People" are a bunch of separate groups...

Klick4MU said...

The point of the argument is that it is the diversity of the "American People" that is being exploited and instead of partaking in divisive politics we should engage in common ideals and practices that unite our country instead of tearing it apart. Diversity of opinion is a strength not a weakness.