Top 10 Movies about 'Family'
Honorable Mention. "The Incredibles" - Animated to perfection this movie tells the tale of what "super" things a family can accomplish when they work together. It's hard not to love, Brad Bird's labor of love. (Of course this could be said of many of the Pixar films in general)
10. "Steel Magnolias" - Alright you can take away my "man card" right now but this movie is all about family, both biological and sororal. As soon as I got over my "tics" and crawled out of a fetal position, from having to see this with my mother, aunts, and grandmother at the age of 9 and I saw it a second time, I had to admit it tugged at the heartstrings and told of the bond of family quite well.
9. "Mr. Mom" - Starring Michael Keaton this flick in all of its cheesy glory turns the tables on business man turned stay at home dad. All the more relevant in today's economy when many men find themselves in the same situation. Won't we all have to go through the same growing pains someday?

8. "Hook" - Who doesn't want their "happy thought" to be their family? Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Here the trade off for neverland is "wanting to be a father" if we're lucky we won't have to make that trade and we can all travel "the second star to the right" and find our own neverlands with our families.
7. "Little Miss Sunshine" - Sure it's a little zany, and a little bit out there but it's all about family and the honest truths within it. If it can make you laugh along the way, perfect. Just watch out for kids, 'cause they say and do the darndest things. If you don't like it the first time just let it gestate a little it will grow on you.
6. "Rachel Getting Married" - Sure this one is a little tough to swallow but sometimes life just is that way. We all have to work through our problems and this film touches on the difficulties of reconciling things within our families but the ultimate love that we all share with our kin.
5. "Father of the Bride" - Yes I know purists will argue that it wasn't the first but Steve Martin's reproduction of the Spencer Tracy classic film will leave any dad in tears as he walks his daughter down the aisle. Who can forget Martin Short's "Franck" and Diane Keaton's level headed Mrs. Banks. Plus you'll never look at buying hot dogs and buns the same way again.
4. "Vacation/European Vacation/Chirstmas Vacation" - The Chevy Chase's trilogy of homage to the American Family (I'm on the fence about throwing "Vegas Vacation" in the mix) If Clark Griswold "is the last true family man" then we all have an exceptional bar to live up to, it's not that high but at least we all know where the bar is set.

3. "Field of Dreams" - Yes this movie is about baseball and yes it is my favorite movie of all time but at it's core it's also about the bond between father and son. If there's one thing that I can relate to with my Dad it's baseball and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone. Plus I've been there when the corn is high and the womb of nature is awesome in that field.
2. "Friends" - Alright so I may be "bending the rules" a little bit here but almost everyone in my generation can admit to having a "friend family" to go along with their biological one. If we all didn't have our TV family to share our time with this wouldn't have stayed on the air as long as it did and covered all of our family's hopes, dreams, fears, messes and "all the rest with" along the way.
1. "Parenthood" - Steve Martin's second trip to the list but this is the gold mine for families in film. It has it all, humor, drama, Mozart, adolescence, balloon animals and of course vomit. It's a classic anyway you look at it we'll have to wait and see if my own family will turn out to be just as crazy.
(In case you haven't figured it out by now, due date Oct. 3rd and boy is it coming quickly! No this is not an April Fools Day Joke either!)
(Thanks C-Squared, you got the ball rolling and I hope you don't mind that I flattered you!)









4 comments:
As I've already mentioned, huge congrats. But more importantly, the instant I saw Steel Magnolias on your list I said "That's gonna cost him a man card." Then I kept reading and laughed a little too hard.
so judging by your movie list.....how is your child going to deal with having two moms?
Very cute way to get the NEWS out! I am SO happy and excited for you and ALL of your family!!!!! LOL!!!!
Yeah so I guess I'm going to have to get use to hearing Uncle Pat. Eh I guess I can handle it. Seriously "Steel", I thought we finally got over that! You could have put Tommy Boy in it's place with Father/Son overtones or even The Lord of the Rings with Gandalf as the patriarch. Aye Carumba, the Simpson's movie would have been a better choice.....
Post a Comment