Thursday, September 04, 2008

"Elitism" and "Entitlement" (A Slight Rant)

"Elitism" - 1) leadership or rule by an elite 2) the selectivity of the elite; especially; snobbery 3) consciousness of being or belonging to an elite

"Entitlement" - 1)the state or condition of being entitled : right b: a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract 2) a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program 3) belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

(A slight rant)

These two terms are tossed around the political universe all the time by both parties for different reasons, however it seems as though the Republicans keep using them more frequently. They keep trying to paint Barack Obama as an elitist and well that's kinda rediculous. How can someone who draws such a populist crowd to his speeches, who until recently had student loans just like the rest of us, who has pulled himself up by his proverbial "bootstraps," be an elite? Is it because he thinks about problems, isn't a "Maverick," doesn't shoot from the hip? I don't get it. Don't let this be interpreted as I think John McCain is an elitist, I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that he is. He is in all sense of the world an American hero, however, I tend to agree with the ways that Barack Obama wants to take this country. However, it seems as though the talking heads of the Republican party and those who represent it seem to be elitist in every way. They carry an aire of being right however, some of their rhetoric doesn't even come close to what is the truth. A little fact checking may help.

Not only do they seem elitist they seem to carry an air of entitlement. They are the only ones who can run the country during a war, they're the party of national security, blah, blah, blah. Shall we forget FDR, Truman, or even Clinton (Kosovo and Operation Desert Fox)? They seem to think that we owe them the election, why? Is it because I've had to find a new job during this past administration? Is it because gas has risen $2.00 since Bush has been in office? Is it because we're fighting 2 wars and our standing throughout the world has dropped dramatically? Is that why we should vote for you? Or is it because you're going to make history with a female vice-president? Even though she is against everything the other history making, earned it through a campaign, worked through a vetting process, female (Hillary) stands for? (See previous post)

I don't know. It's hard to stomach watching the convention when they seem to belittle the other half of the country who thinks we should change some things about this country. Governor Palin showed some teeth last night but I would have liked a little more hope than accusatory "punches" at the opposite party. We'll see how McCain ties it all together tonight.

(On a side note, call me old fashion but why exactly wasn't Gov. Palin's husband wearing a wedding ring last night? Take a look for yourself. As the party of "Traditional Family Values" isn't this one of the basic ones?)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert, we know where you stand. Nothing or no one will change your vote. However, I would like to comment on 2 of your points... I spent much of Obama's speech last week asking him (rhetorically, of course) to stop bashing Bush and McCain and tell us what HE will do to improve our lot. I never got a clear answer. Today, we have come to expect candidates to bash their opponents. That's just the way it is... And, regarding the wedding ring: MANY men (and even women) who "work with their hands" (does a fisherman and an oil field worker count?) do not wear wedding rings for fear it will be lost or caught on something and rip their finger off. I wouldn't say a bare finger means anything special in this case. Those are my comments for now...

Anonymous said...

In response to Anonymous, you didn't hear because you were not listening.

Tax cuts those below 250,000/yr income.

Tax increase those above 250,000/yr.

He won't appoint judges who will give away the bill of rights.

He will rebuild our relations with what are now "former" allies and partners.

Just to name a few.

Sad that you can look at the audience of this particular GOP convention and see fat white guys mixed with others possessing that religious irrational fanatic look in their demeaner.

Our country has surely gone to the crapper. The forefathers attitude was "Freedom no matter what the risk." Listening to the GOP, you'd think it was "gosh, which freedoms can I give up so the government will protect me!"

"He who is willing to give up a little freedom for a little security is WORTHY and DESERVING OF NEITHER!!!" - Benjamin Franklin

Klick4MU said...

Well let me respond to "anonymous," yes you do know where I stand but that doesn't mean I'm not open to new ideas or suggestions to make it better. As for Obama and what he wants to do to improve the country he had quite a few ideas, in fact the media kinda bashed him for being too "hopefull" As for the wedding ring, I understand there might be a reason while you're working but standing in a convention hall, I'm just not sure.
Side note here's another commentary about Palin's Celebrity http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/03/rosen.palin

Unknown said...

A couple of points in response to the 2nd anonymous.

You begin with the whole tax hike for the rich argument, but if you check your facts, you'll find that everyone's taxes will go up. Here's how to think about it: The tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 cut everyone's taxes. Yes, everyone's. Before you get your panties in a bunch, go to the IRS tax tables and look it up. Don't read someone else's evaluation. Go look it up for yourself. Compare 2000 to 2008. Everyone's percentages went down. It's all there in black and white.

Now, Obama wants to let these tax cuts expire. Fine, so the tax rates will go back to the way they were in 2000. Additionally, Obama said he will give the middle class a tax cut and not the rich. Fine by me, I don't make over 250K so I'm safe. You probably are, too. HOWEVER, the middle class tax "cut" he will give will not be as great as the tax cut he will let expire. Clever boy, he gets to claim a tax cut, but the net effect is a tax hike.

Again, go to Obama's site and read the fine print. Break out the calculator if you have to. Think for yourself.

Of course, this sleight of hand happens with both the dems and republicans. It's just a matter of which flavor of B.S. you buy into.

Anonymous said...

I don't expect canidates to bash each other...in fact I could do away with it all. I would love it if they just stuck to the facts and didn't add editoral comment. Let the media do that.

I think these conventions are a waste of time and money. If we went back to the "old days" when the nominee wasn't picked until the convention, maybe I'd care a little more.

I also hope that the GOP doesn't think women voters are so stupid that just b/c there's a woman on their ticket that women will vote for them. I sort of think that's what their hoping for...

Also, I agree that some men don't wear rings when the work (some of my friends don't)...ah, I don't think he's working while at the GOP convention in MN. I think it's a little tacky...your wife is nominated for VP and you can't find the time to find your wedding ring? I mean, it's not like he's going to be on TV or photographed often!!!

Ian said...

About the ring thing: my father has never worn a wedding ring. He and my mother have been happily married for 45 years.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with you, Robert.

Ricky said...

After watching McCain's speech I will go on and say that both Obama and McCain have great character, whether the opposition will say it or not.

Which means it comes down to politics and issues for me(gasp!). Which essentially means choosing a party. Which for me is actually a much easier decision than picking individual candidates.

Klick4MU said...

Here's another link for more information on our "favorite" VP pick.
http://www.slate.com/id/2199362