Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Long Weekend

Alright so after a weekend that was just a little bit longer I return with an entry. See isn't Columbus Day great? I told you October was great.

This blog would have been written earlier but my wife and I were partaking in the annual family reunion at their family farm. We camped out and of course I made the world famous Dutch Oven Cobbler it was quite a hit and hey we're still trying to get the smoke smell out of everything. It was a good, although cold when walking between the fire and the tent, time.

Anyway let's start with sport. Cardinals are headed to the National League Championship Series. After losing a tough game on Saturday, they turned it around with an awesome game on Sunday and beat the Padres. The Mets however are a little bit tougher and the stakes are a little bit higher. However, I think with all the injuries to the Mets we may just take this series and then head on to the World Series.

How 'bout them Tigers too? The football team is 6-0 for the first time in 33 years and is ranked in the top 20 (AP poll), number 19 to be exact, and 21 (USA today poll) which is close enough. Tough test again next week but we gotta take it one game at a time. The defense has shown signs of brilliance and I guess the shotgun/no huddle offense is scoring enough points to keep on winning games. Let's not forget about the women either. The volleyball team is still showing their muscle with a #15 ranking...however big game coming up against Nebraska tomorrow. The soccer team has slipped a bit but is still playing well and deserves some lovin' too.

Next topic, TV veiwing. So Mondays are becoming my "go to night" with TV, meaning the shows that I don't want to miss are falling on Mondays. So I try and get dinner all ready and the house cleaned so I can just veg on the couch for the Monday night schedule which is as follows; How I Met Your Mother, The Class, Heroes, and (of course) Studio 60. The first two have kinda been in passing but the folks at How I Met your mother turned it up a notch this week. In the show the 2 main characters, who were dating, had their first big fight and it was really about her not listening and him being "boring," whatever, blah blah blah. The side fight, which every couple knows is also as important as the "real" fight was about "a boring movie that you can't see again and again...like Field of Dreams." Well of course the guys could not let that stand and the banter back and forth about the movie and why it resonates so well with guys was some of the best TV I have seen in a long time...but then again I might be a little biased. Heroes is getting really interesting but it's kinda lagging I could use a little less backstory and some more of a present timeline but I hear it's coming. As for Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60, I will still make the argument that he is one of the best writer/producers in TV today good shows and good productions.

That about sums up the long weekend I hope everyone enjoyed it. GO CARDS.

1 comment:

Ian said...

You don't work on Columbus Day? Slacker!