Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thoughts on the "Idiot Box"

With this week being "premiere week," I thought I might throw my $.02 worth in and maybe get a discussion going on America's most loved household device.

When I was younger my grandmother constantly referred to the TV as the "idiot box." She meant it in the way that if we watched to much of it that my brothers and I would all be idiots. Well I have a feeling that I didn't heed my grandmother's warning and I do indeed watch too much TV and I can't help but think that I'm missing out on something "grander." However, there's more to the "idiot" box than that...but we'll get to that later.

I have always known that I watch too much TV, play too many video games, and I too often fall victim to the vices of modern entertainment. Even though I recognize this, I'm not sure that I can pull myself away from this addiction. I know that my impeccable TV knowledge might come in handy for the occasional trivia night, for Scene It TV or for trivial pursuit but as far as I know, it's not gonna help me get a job, get in shape, or advance the culture of today's society. However, I just can't stop watching, but can you blame me? There's so much "good" stuff on TV that makes you think, laugh, or appreciate where your life is at and it's a hell of a lot easier to turn the TV on than to read a book, or take a walk. However, there is also the "not-so-good" stuff that makes you question if there are any standards on TV any more.

Some of the good shows; "Studio 60", "The Office", "CSI", "Grey's Anatomy", "Arrested Development" (Yes I know it was cancelled but I can't ignore a good show because of a network's idiocy), " as well as many others. These shows all do a lot to make American life easier, more entertaining and fun.

(I digress, last night premiered Aaron Sorkin's new "smart TV" production "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" Being an avid fan of his I was eagerly awaiting this show especially since the "death" of the West Wing, his many personal comments and very personal experience were subjects in this touchy new drama there will be more on this blogsite to come about the show but I just wanted to talk about TV in general for this entry.)

Back to the subject at hand...the "idiot box". Along with "good" shows are the "not so good" shows who coincidentally are often times reality shows. The "idiot" shows; "Wife Swap", "The Bachelor", "Rock Star Supernova" and for those of us lucky enough to get basic cable MTV's "Next", and "My Super Sweet Sixteen" just seem to me to be why the rest of the world looks at the U.S. as such a confusing country. The paradox being that good solid and classy entertainment is on just as much as these other shows.

More specifically the question is at what point do you have such low self esteem to sell your life away to someone else so that they can sell the sponsorship of the commercials. If you were "lucky" enough to catch last night's episode of "Wife Swap" you got to see a (and I'm not kidding here) pirate switch place with a professional organizer. For those of you not familiar with the show ABC switches families from two "different" worlds and then makes them live as the other for a week and then the "new" wives get to make the rules. Great premise, right? Well at its core I assume it would be so that individuals can see the faults within their own lives and then correct them. The only problem, they air the laundry on TV and very rarely is the discourse and disclosure about the problems made in a "civil" way. Usually they come in the form of confrontation and often get violent. At the risk of sounding too "Oprahy" they really should have a professional social worker or psychologist in with these families to help them out. Especially if the families really want to make the change.

In any case, I hope you all enjoy premiere week and take whatever you want from the current state of pop culture in U.S. today. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about the next batch of shows and where they stand in relation to your own character development and their priority in your life. In any case, happy viewing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found I wasn't watching as much TV this summer, and I'm not sure if (or how) that might change now that we're getting back into the regular season. I did watch the premiers of Law & Order: CI and SVU last night. (And was rather ticked off that KSDK chose to run over the first 10 minutes of CI to air a live press conference about the baby being found. I'm glad the kid is OK and all, but they could've just covered it on the evening news or put a banner across the bottom of the screen.)

I've grown increasingly disinterested in the NBC line up now that Friends and Will & Grace are both off the air. I've been hooked on ER for years, but last season wasn't all that great and I have a feeling that series is also coming to an end soon. I do enjoy a couple of the other NBC programs, but I've never really gotten into any of the other networks' offerings.

And I've just been busy. Moving to St. Louis gave my social life a kick in the pants for a number of reasons. And now I'm a Pampered Chef consultant, I find myself wanting to spend time on that, too. I have mutliple projects that have been languishing for years I'd like to get back to. And I just recently started a new diet/exercise program that has me exercising for an hour or more 6 days a week. And there's always working full time, housework, etc.

I've watched too much TV for a very, very long time. It's only recently I've begun to understand why my parents used to say "there's nothing on TV" - the unspoken implication was "worth watching." I agree with you that there are shows that are engaging and/or make us think. And there are any number of programs I could watch that would be pertinent and/or educational as well as entertaining (especially on the Discovery, History or NG channels, etc.), but like you, I'm also wondering if that's what I really want to do with my time.

Y'know any time this kind of question comes up, I remember something I read or heard somewhere: "When the dying look back on their lives, they never say they wish they had watched more TV." It's certainly something to think about.

Anonymous said...

Unrelated, but one more thing: not sure how often you check your e-mail, but please look for one from "pamperedjoan". :)

Anonymous said...

I can never find the time to watch prime time tv. I don't know how people do, and I don't even work. Although I must say I've found The Office pretty funny on occasion.

I have to say your grandmother was quite right indeed. As I age, there seems so little worth watching that the new 42" flatscreen I just bought sits idly most hours of the day, apart from sports and the kids shows. I've been faithfully tivoing Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa as well as Rick Steeve's Europe as they are in High Definition and look amazing on the new tv - they also give me a glimpse of the places in europe I've visited and also the places I wish to visit someday.

Dora the Explorer and The Backyardigans seem to be quite popular around the house these days for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say I view the "idiot box" in a different light. I, like Robert probably watch more television than people would say is healthy. Although I use the programs as an escape from the idiots running my life. I love the office because it puts a light-hearted spin on the mentally challenged bosses that I have at my office and allows me to go into work with a little less anger. While shows like Studio 60 and Heroes (which I have enjoyed so far) allow me to forget, if only for an hour about the fact that we have Bush and other idiots running our country into the ground!! I especially need my tv since I live in St. Louis and people here do not appear to understand how to drive!!!

Robert you happy......I finally put something on your blog!!