Alright so here's the situation...I don't have a "career" job right now. It's a pretty bad job market in Columbia and Jeff City for those who have a lot of "book knowledge" with little to no "experience," there are just too many of us. So, I'm still having a tough time finding a good place to start out the ol' career. Well as all of you who have ever been to college, or thought of going to college, or even just looked at a college know...it costs, a lot. To take on the endeavor of a college degree is a major financial challenge. Now I know there are a great many loans and scholarships and stuff out there that are supposed to help but eventually it all catches up. On top of that when you toss in the mortgage payment, bills, gas money, and the occasional "luxury buy" you have a pretty good recipe for the need of a source of income. So like I did throughout my graduate school...I'm working at the hotel to fulfill that requirement. Which brings me to the topic at hand, "defending Missouri."
While working at the hotel I'm doing everything to pick up shifts; mulching, pruning trees, front desk, a little housekeeping here and there, breakfast duty, selling ads...pretty much anything. Well during my breakfast shifts on Thursday and Friday, CNN, which has to be on at the hotel during breakfast hours, had several stories on Missouri that did not shine a good light on the state. On top of that, ESPN radio, which I listen to in the kitchen when I'm not in the lobby, gave no love to either the Cardinals (which is expected) or the Tigers (which I really didn't expect but it would have been nice). So in order to contradict and rebut the mass media's choice to ignore and defame my "home" (after all I was born in Tucson but only lived there till I was 2) state I offer this simple commentary.
I am a Missourian. I do not live in "fly-over" country, "The South", a farmer's village, the pasture or any other derogatory term you can think of for this state. I live in Missouri, the "Show Me State," the home of; Harry S. Truman, Scott Joplin, Samuel Clemens or if you prefer Mark Twain, Walt Disney, Walter Cronkite, Edwin Hubble, Jack Buck, Sacajawea and Stan "the Man" Musial, just to name a few. Missouri is embedded in Amercia's past; Lewis and Clark started in St. Louis, Kansas City was at the crossroads of the great west, and is linked to America's future; Missouri's world class Universities are on the forefront of medical and science research, our corporations and businesses are unlocking the many uses of our agricultural resources, top tier technology is being devoloped and produced, and medical cures and processes are being found and undertaken in our world class hospitals. Missouri's natural beauty and stunning landscape, both above, and below the earth's surface is some of the most scenic vistas and sights anywhere in the United States. Missouri is not filled with meth addicts, insurance frauds, ignorant rednecks or criminals but is filled with genuine, thoughtful, and exciting people with good hearts and healthy minds. Missouri does have its problems, but name a place that doesn't. Missourians don't judge New Yorkers by the stereotypical crime drama on TV, or the city of Atlanta by its rising crime rate, nor even Californians by the materialistic "Laguna Beach" or "OC" individuals that are portrayed throughout the media, so please don't rush to judge our state by some of the problems you see on TV. Missouri is home and with home is family, values, and what is right. In Missouri it is true that we want you to "Show Me" but I think it's time that the rest of the county values what Missourians show the country.
3 comments:
Nicely written, Robert! Maybe you should think about trying to have this published as a letter to the editor in a local paper, or e-mail it in to CNN or ESPN radio or whatever.
Still pretty new to the state myself, but I will probably be experiencing a little more in a couple weeks when my parents are in town...
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not sure I have enough gumption to send it to the big dogs!
the title is defending missouri and i dont even get a mention. Im hurt but i'll get over it. Hope your doing well.
Bet you thought i never read this hippy blubber
Post a Comment