At that time I was a lone dissenter and to a certain extent I guess I still am. I like Thanksgiving, I like that while, not always in practice but at least in theory, Thanksgiving gives America a chance to realize its blessings and thank whatever, whomever they please for the blessings they have in life. It's a chance to get together with friends and family and just take a moment to slow down and enjoy life, something that is rarely done in our consumer driven, obsessive society. I always make it a point to have to say "thanks" on Thanksgiving and forget about the frenzied insanity that the commercialized Christmas season will bring, and I encourage all of my readers to do the same.
So everyone gather up your Friends DVD's, turn on some football, snuggle up with family and say thanks for what you do have.
I'll end on a quote that I'm borrowing from a friend who is quoting the Greek philosopher Epictetus;
He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has - EpictetusHappy "Gracias-Giving"
4 comments:
I know many people who are very thankful for you :)
You might like the info on Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving proclamation, if you're not already aware of it: http://blogs.archives.gov/aotus/?p=1940
As a historian, I also dislike the whole Pilgrims-and-Indians myth for multiple reasons. However, I don't think that should be a reason to NOT celebrate Thanksgiving, either. I suspect that the Religious Studies folks would probably share the opinion with me that it would be awesome if, as a culture, we could move away from that myth and yet keep the holiday.
(plus some other great resources on history of Thanksgiving here: http://blog.historians.org/what-we-are-reading/1188/what-were-reading-november-25-2010-edition, in case you're interested)
"Happy 'Turkey' Day", said with much gracias to you!
Post a Comment