Homecoming - The University of Missouri held its 97th annual homecoming on October 24th - 26th and while I'm not a student anymore I still get wrapped up in the spirit. The house decs are admittidely losing some of their luster but the parade is still a tradition and it's nice to see and remember the campus throughout. Not to mention of course the beat down Mizzou handed the Buffaloes 58-0.

Barack Obama Rally - Yes, believe it or not, the candidate decided to make a stop in good ol' CoMo the night before Halloween and of course I wasn't going to miss it. Unfortunately I had to work until 8:00 but I called in a few favors and Katy and I hopped into line at about 6:00, (she stayed in a little before) he was scheduled to speak at 9:30. Obama was speaking on the Carnahan Quad, and just to tell you how much of a draw he was, we lined up at the corner of Hitt and University, a good 4 blocks away, and we were early. Once we "got in" we searched for a place with a good vantage point and the best we could find was "up the hill" in the middle of the quad. While we were waiting one of the volunteers came by and asked us if we wanted to sit on the stage. At first we thought she was joking, she wasn't. So we moved up to the stage and were 15 yards away from (hopefully) the next President of the United States. The experience was amazing and the gathering truly was one of hope and of optimism for the future. The whole experience seemed surreal and it took quite a while to calm down from the adrenaline.
"Special Comment" - (To borrow one of Keith Olberman's lines and tactics) Tomorrow is the day where Americans will go to the polls and will once again put into motion the wheels of this "great experiment" of democracy. Whether you're Republican or Democrat, Independent or Green, Libertarian or Socialist, or whatever you claim to be get out and exercise your right to vote. Too many times in our lives our voice is not heard now is a chance for our voices not only to be heard but to be put into action, vote. I believe that government should inspire, and invigorate the human spirit to be symbol for what we can accomplish when we work together, that can't happen unless all voices are heard, vote. Voting is not only our duty in that hope but our honor in that noble call. Get out, let your voice be heard Vote tomorrow and assert your goodness in the world, assert you, show that you matter. In this society of individuality be a part of something bigger stand united and Vote.
2 comments:
wow. congrats on being on stage with Obama. I can't think of someone I know that deserved it more. Kind of like how I deserve to be on stage with Pearl Jam.
Well I can think of a couple more people more deserving of me but thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe they're right you are your own worst critic. (Yes however you are correct in needing to have a "jam" session with Eddie Vedder, there are fewer more deserving for that)
Post a Comment