Alright so I figured everyone needs a break from the political world and the inevitable posts that are to follow...so I shall return the "Morally Offensive Film of the Week" for at least this week.


"Zack and Miri Make a Porno" - Starring Seth Rogen, Elizabeth Banks, Jason Mewes, Craig Robinson, Traci Lords, and Jeff Anderson, written and directed by Kevin Smith. Kevin Smith is no stranger to the ranks of the "Morally Offensive" with classics such as Clerks I & II and of course Dogma, he's got this down to a science. In Zack and Miri, two "platonic" roommates run out of cash and come up with a great idea to make a quick buck, make a porno. They assume that the cash needed is minimal and the financial rewards are great. Hidden underneath Smith's "frivolous approach to pornography, which, instead of a profit-driven assault on human dignity, is portrayed as a lark and even as a means of self-fulfillment" is a subtle moral and telling tale about the complexity of love and lust. Smith's mocking and sarcastic nature is applied to the porno industry and is some of his best. Once you get past the crudeness and vulgarity of his humor (which in and of itself leads to sarcastic excessiveness) Smith's films always have a heart and take the world where it is and places an "artist's view" on the subject, this film is no exception. 4.5 out 5 Remotes
2 comments:
Judging by the ratings you've given other movies, we either have very different taste in films, or you're just way too damn generous... I mean seriously, 3/5 for that newest piece of crap Indiana Jones movie? Ugh, I'd give it 2 TOPS.
I think I'm a little generous something I'm trying to remedy. The only real problem is that if I want to give it lower than I 3 I wonder, why the hell was I watching it at all? Maybe I should re-establish a base.
Post a Comment