
"The Dark Knight" - Starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Michael Cane, and Morgan Freeman. Directed by Christopher Nolan, written by Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, and David S. Goyer. This movie is so much more than a "comic book movie." As one of the most anticipated movies of the year this movie was on top of almost everybody's list, I was not in the minority in this cause. I expected a movie with action, drama, stunts, and of course a little bit of comedy. What I got was a movie that was more like an epic Greek drama than a comic book movie. Since seeing the movie I have made the argument that like the morality plays you have to read in high school this movie should also belong in the lexicon of good and evil and the complexity of human existence. This movie was exceptionally well done and the plot twists, questions, acting and directions are truly superb.
Ledger's insanity is amazingly crafted and rightly acclaimed by both the critics and fans alike. It's no secret that I was never a real Heath Ledger fan, A Knights Tale, The Brothers Grimm, 10 Things I Hate About You, are hardly works of art and great masterpieces that will be remembered forever, however, Ledger's Joker will. Given license to craft a psychopathic slightly genocidal murderer and lover of chaos Ledger took the opportunity and showed true acting prowess and expert dexterity. A remarkable performance.
The performances by the entire cast lend themselves to an unforgiving script that locks into the complexity of society; good vs. evil, many vs. self, pride vs. humility and many others. What is so exciting about the film is, by the use of metaphor and conflict, it takes you into the depths of fear, insanity and chaos and then pulls you out into hope, inspiration, and community. Many could dissect not only the acting performances but more importantly the metaphors, script, dichotomy and human condition that are essential to the development of the curious and inquisitive mind. The depth of the film, I believe, cannot be dissected in a single sitting, however, I would...for fear of the "darkness" not take in back to back sittings. I would however advise that this is not just a comic book movie but is in fact an exciting and relevant dialogue about society that might benefit all who see it. It's an introspective look at life both within community and within individual persona. 5/5 Remotes (Not a pick me up but a great discussion and conversation on society and individual lives and their roles within)
1 comment:
This movie just upped the bar for every action super hero movie, if not movies in general. Not since Lord of the Rings have I been so excited to see a movie for a second time. (Sorry Episode 3).
Ledger is the Joker for all time, and he beats out some big names: Cesar Romero, Jack Nichelson, even Mark Hamill in the animated cartoons. But Heath outdoes them all and will be in the ranks of Darth Vader for best villains of all-time.
Post a Comment