Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Klicks v2.007

Alright so I know I said "death of a dorm" was next but I haven't quite finished the post and I don't have it quite like I want it yet...it still needs some editing and well I haven't had much time. Anyway I do have a question for all you "tech savvy" friends of mine. We're getting ready for our big vacation at the end of August and although our digital camera is still pretty good our camcorder is still running on an old 8mm cassette tape, and we can't find a new battery to keep the charge in it. So we're thinking it may be time to "upgrade". So our primary question is what do we "upgrade" first and what do we "upgrade" to? Our computer is definately behind the times, our TV is ok but it is no HD and it's not widescreen or even all that big, our camcorder is not back to the stone age but it's at least back to the iron age, and our DVD player won't play DVD-R or RW DVDs. So I'm asking you how we should "upgrade." Mind you we are on a limited budget so we can't go bazerk but we could spare a little bit. Help us out guys!

2 comments:

Ian said...

Here's my assessment of the situation:

Computer: if it weren't screwed up software-wise, it'd be good for at least another year. It probably just needs a bit more RAM. However, since your in-town tech support is gone, doing a reinstall and RAM upgrade isn't too easy. I'm not sure how to answer this, as your two options I can't recommend in good conscience: 1. letting the Geek Squad fix it (expensive, may not actually fix anything). 2. Get a new computer (more expensive, and your old computer is basically still fine hardware-wise). I dunno. I guess you should get a new computer.

TV: HD prices continue to fall precipitously, and HD content is either scarce (cable/satellite TV) or expensive (HD-DVD/Blue-Ray discs). I've found that normal TV looks worse on HD sets! I'd wait this out at least another year.

Camcorder: You have a lot of options here: Mini-DV, HDV (hi-def on DV tapes), hard drive, DVD; each with their own price points. The ones that record straight to DVD are really easy as you can just pop the disc into your DVD player and watch it. It'll hamper your editing ability, as editing software like Microsoft Movie Maker really are the most seamless for the DV-type cameras. Or you could just not get one. Gabi and I really have done great just using the movie mode on our little camera; we don't take long videos and it's pretty much DVD quality.

DVD player: this one is pretty easy. The cheapest piece of crap you can find should play DVD-R and -RWs just fine. The remote will be maddening and the player will be harder to use than your rather nice current one, but it will probably play anything you throw at it.

Anonymous said...

First, if you decide on a new computer you should do it this weekend because it is the State Sales tax Holiday! So you will only pay the 2% local sales tax.

B) I agree with Ian on the DVD player, just freaking go buy one. You can get a decent one for like $25. If you want a fancy one, go for one that has an HDMI input (ie upconversion) it will make your current DVD's look a little better when you buy a new fancy TV. You can get one of these for around $70.

Third) TV pretty! You saw the HD....damn! plus it came with PIP.....video games on one side and tv on the other! And the quality of non-HD programing depends on the tv, check Consumer Reports for the best or ask the tv place to switch to a non HD station for you. The Magnavox they sell at both Wal-mart and Target is very good HD and analog signals.

Finally) Camcorders-See Ian