Not too long ago (actually it was quite a while ago now) I was driving back from my normal Thursday night dinner run to Buffalo Wild Wings. Just so you all know I take the "scenic route" back from BWW's through campus, yes I am a big dork and yes I do know it. Anyway, while turing onto Rollins from S. Maryland I saw an unfortunate hole in the Pershing Group skyline. At first I thought it was simply my imagination or the sun playing tricks on me, much to my dismay, it was not. My dorm was dead. The place I had called home for the first two years of my illustrious college career was now a hole. I knew it was going to come down eventually but it was scheduled to come down this summer after the spring semester, however campus facilities had apparently gotten everybody out and wanted a jump on extending the new wing of the hospital. It was gone. Upon reaching the "parking lot" next to the building I couldn't help reminisce on the past and feel that a part of me was gone.
(4-12-07) (5-23-07)
Baker-Park, we had been told, was built at the end of WWII as a barracks for the soldiers returning home and utilizing the G.I. bill. It was convieniently located close to the hospital and within very close distance to marching field (now torn ACL, I mean Stankowski field) and the ROTC building, Crowder hall. The rooms were small, at best, extremely cramped at worse.
However it was home. Baker-Park was home to concrete walls, the worse GPA on campus, and DUD (Down Under Diner) was within walking distance and had some of the worse food on campus. For two years Ricky and I crammed ourselves in that itty-bitty room, and tried not to kill each other. I met Ian and Jon, who I only knew were alive that first semsester by the glow of their computer screens. It was home to the one and only; "Tecmo Super Bowl," the never ending "Come on Eileen" debate, the longest phone call and goodbye between a boyfriend and girlfriend I've ever heard, the bubble chair, the broken window, a nighttime bike ride in a tux, worms prodding, Half-life tournaments, the semi-finals in intramural sports (volleyball), "Goldfish," getting your butt kicked by a trash bag, "it's on the internet it has to be true," all night nerdery (Trivial Pursuit battles that lasted way, way too long), the Damn Hippies, Tub o' Love, locked out showers, and much much more. It was home, and a damn good one at that. With all that being said, farewell fond dorm, farewell.






5 comments:
Good ol' Baker-Park. here's a picture of my half of the room I shared with Jon. Man, what a pigsty. It's obvious from the lack of any surface to do homework on that my grades were suffering. That and the fact that my calculus textbook has two cups from Shakespeare's on top of it.
Good times. Hmm, what else was there? Hall frisbee!
given my propensity for marathon phone conversations, i really don't think that an evening spent processing a person's first awakenings could've been accomplished in any shorter period of time. Also, I certainly didn't deserve the nickname.
--"Homewrecker" ;)
Yeah but you got to admit it was fun while it lasted ;-) Ricky falling out of the bed to yell at Jon was a classic moment.
it was good times. although, ricky was always falling out of that bed. and, we probably shouldn't have missed your birthday.
For the record I won that Tecmo Superbowl with an interception on the 1 yard line while there were 4 different versions of Final Fantasy being played in the next year. I know I fell out of bed alot, but I seem to remember asking that bed out one time. I also remember Robert literally kicking me out of bed a couple times.
Post a Comment