Monday, September 03, 2012

Hospitality Matters

In a "former life" I worked at a hotel, in a position I think I did pretty well at; I started as a front desk attendant and worked up to Assistant manager making stops as a maintenance guy, breakfast attendant, housekeeper and laundry dude every once in a while too. Overall there were many skills that I had to learn along the way but I think most of all I learned hospitality.

Hospitality can take many forms but I personally think comedian Drew Carey defined it best when he said "I am considerate of my fellow human beings". It's a little thing that makes a person's day, it's a smile when someone crosses your path, it can change things all around for unsuspecting people.

This past Labor Day weekend was a looooong weekend with a good many stories made, many not so good some better than others but one little bit of hospitality helped move the weekend along. Early on Sunday morning, in a Hampton Inn, fitness center, I shared a morning run with a gentleman who I did not know and who didn't know me but his hospitality struck me. First, when the room key didn't open the door, he hopped off his treadmill and let me in. I don't know about you but when I'm on a treadmill in a groove I don't want to stop, he did. I thanked him, he nodded, he continued I started and finished my run. He was still going. I hopped off the 'mill said have a good day to which he replied "thanks...take care of yourself".

I'm not sure if it was the fact that we were both in a fitness room or what but the "take care of yourself" struck me. Plenty of times you pass someone, offer a good morning or whatever and nothing is said back or if anything its a you too but this gentleman responded with a sincere "take care of yourself." His little act of hospitality, of concern helped me to remember that it is important to be considerate of my fellow human beings and that "hospitality matters".

No comments: