Disclaimers; I'm not a woman I have no right to say anything about anything regarding a woman's body or choices and yes this is a little late but I had to get this out.
Unless you have been living in a cave for the past week, you've heard of the biologically wrong and socially deplorable comments of Todd Akin. Representative Akin, and I use that term solely for the formality that he was elected representative, has apologized for his comments by stating; "I used the wrong words in the wrong way"..."the mistake I made was in the words I said not the heart I hold," he has added that he is staying in the race because he believes in "principles over politics". In my opinion this does not count, while he may be forgiven over time it will not be forgotten. You may verbally express sorrow and you may say that in your heart that you are sorry but you will continue to try and codify a distinction in rape and put into practice a mandate from the government with regards to an individual's body. I understand the "pro-life" argument the "pro-life" belief and while I disagree with the whole of the push of criminalizing abortion I can understand your argument but whole heartily disagree with your principle of using government to mandate a behavior by anyone.
Misspeaking is confusing Tennessee and Talahassee or saying "Missour-eee" over "Missou-rah" in a certain section of our fair state, it is not "holding in your heart" the belief that it is right for a government to determine what individuals can and cannot do with their body.
As a Catholic I believe I do not get to judge a person's "heart" or "soul", that is reserved for God alone, however, I may make a decision judge a persons actions and words and with those considerations I will not be voting for you come November. I will work towards defeating you in this election. Your "principles" and your "politics" are not reflective of me and I would argue not reflective of Missouri.
In trying to deal with the abject horror of your statement, Mr. Akin, I've tried humor, I've tried ignorance, I've tried abstention but I cannot any longer. I cannot be silent when a person like you is on the ballot. My fear is that you, and like minded individuals who hold your same "principles", will be elected. (I think everyone should note that this has been a plank in the Republican party's platform for the past 8 years) My fear is that with that possible election the "freedoms" you claim to espouse; smaller government, individual family values, and the ability to protect life (all life I might add), will be terribly repressed by your hypocrisy and erratic and harmful "principles". Mr. Akin, if you truly believed in your "principles" you would go far, far away and shut your mouth. You do not represent Missouri. You do not represent anyone who cares for women and the abject horror that rape is in their lives. You do not represent anyone who believes that science has a role in the public square, right next to religion, and economic policies. You may have misspoke and you may be forgiven for misspeaking but I doubt that you will be forgiven for your despicable beliefs. Educate yourself, care for others and fade away then maybe your heart will survive where your head surely lacks.
No comments:
Post a Comment