Monday, November 23, 2009

John William Klick 6/4/20-11/22/09











John William Klick "Grandpa" - The strong and silent type are hard to find in my generation but not too hard for "the Greatest Generation," but it got a little bit harder to find one after yesterday. Grandpa never really said all that much but when he spoke you listened, he was wise and cautious and when he spoke it was always with love and it was always smart. Grandpa had one of the best analytical minds of anyone I have ever known and one I can only hope to aspire to as well. I owe, at least part, of my love of baseball to Grandpa, with evenings listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on the radio. He taught me to visualize the game, before every game was televised on the "idiot box." Every weekend in which we had Grandma's tuna we also had Grandpa's popcorn, Act II butter popcorn, that is just a little bit burnt. He never could quite get that quite right and to this day anytime I smell burnt popcorn I think of Grandpa. Grandpa had a taste for root beer floats, and had "Klick" sneezing attacks which both have transferred down genetically to me and the latter to my daughter (as I'm pretty sure the former will too). He was a veteran who served in WWII and was on the USS Missouri when they signed the peace treaty in Tokyo Bay which I have been lucky enough to visit as well. He fiercely loved his wife and I'm sure they're both joyfully singing in St. Peter's, or whomever's, choir tonight. I Love You Grandpa and you will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless all of you! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family.