***DISCLAIMER - I write this post with the uppermost respect for women and mothers***
This past Saturday was our turn to go to the birthing class taught at our hospital of choice, Boone Hospital. As if the "Dad to be" was not already paranoid about this whole upcoming ordeal and the effects that will come to his family, his wife and his life in the future this was almost that little push off the edge. I suppose I can sum up what I gained from this modified video lecture (the instructor, a nurse, would say a little bit about the birthing process and then show the video to re-emphasize the point) into two things; 1) "Walk it off" and 2) every woman has her own labor.
Alright OK, I get that, but hasn't medical practice come a little bit farther than what my little league coach told me when I would take a cleat to the shins? I really needed to shell out $65, an entire Saturday and the first Mizzou football game of the season just so the nurse can make sure to tell me that "it's not like the movies and TV, the last place you want to be is on a bed" and "these are just the possibilities everyone is different." Alright I guess...
Seriously folks, now I know more than I think I should about all these different drugs and whatever about the birthing process but these drugs and procedures, according to the nurse, are "options." The main thing she emphasized is to all of us is the need "walk it off" and to breathe. Seriously she wanted everyone to walk around until the end of labor then it's like the movies. This almost put me over the edge. You know the line for nervous fathers, where on one side you're just freaked out enough to keep your edge and then on the other you're completely freaked out and just want to throw up, well this class and this video got me real close to the "bad" side of that line. The exact opposite of the point of the class. Good thing I could remember my little league days and move on by "walking it off." Wow, just wow as of right now I'm not terribly sure that I shouldn't have "gone in blind" it probably would have helped my nerves.
3 comments:
Yeah, the walking thing is strange but it's helpful. Gravity and motion are your friends. The number of options are staggering, so don't let it overwhelm you two. The nurses we had were great and did an excellent job of keeping us on top of things; hopefully yours will too.
Just remember that millions, nay BILLIONS of men and women have already been through this. You can do it! The fact that there are so many options is a blessing, it means you and your wife can go through this beautiful but intense experience the way that you think is best. Prayers that everything goes well. :)
Epidurals (if Katy is willing) is the easiest way to avoid a Hollywood birth. If you look at all the crazy births in movies (and horror stories from friends) most of them find some way to not get an epidural in time.
Also, you could learn almost as much from Bill Cosby as that birthing class (I think I went to the same one) Just saying.
Post a Comment