As many of you can tell from my ubiquitous postings on movies and film, I really like going to, and watching, movies. I have my favorites and I have those I loathe; and if you can't tell the difference, go back and read my reviews from the past and then you'll get a little bit better idea. In any case I have often been known to make the argument that the folks at Pixar are incapable of making a bad film, and place them in the highest esteem of filmmakers, they're one of my favorites. I place them at the top for several reasons; least of which is their animation skill, and most of which is their innate ability to tell a story and to develop and expose their characters. Some will argue that animation, and the animated film, are for those under the age of 10 and not for "grown ups" who have mature palates and distinguished tastes. While I could easily point to the art of Anime and other cultivated examples to negate this argument, but I'll stick with their general idea that "Disneyeque" films are for the adolescent and cherubic mind.
To this statement would wholeheartedly disagree and offer this rebuttle. The Pixar team consistantly offers better art than many other production companies, and thus extends my love/hate relationship.
Let me expain...
While the "art" of animation has, in my opinion, taken a hit since the advent of CGI, it still remains a very viable and exuberant art form in which the artist(s) will painstakingly create their work upon the canvas of film. There's more to art, and more specifically the art of film, than the aesthetically pleasing qualities that flicker upon a screen. There is story, character, and a special uniqueness to the medium of film. In the case of Pixar, I can remember sitting in awe staring at the most simple of leaves in Toy Story thinking that everyone in the theater could reach through the screen and touch that tree. The details exacted upon the films of Pixar are amazingly unique. If you don't believe that they are experts in their art notice the hair on "Sully" from Monsters Inc. and then rent Hoodwinked and compare "Sully's" hair to that of the wolf's, it doesn't. (and there was even a 4 year gap for the Weinstein Company to catch up) Pixar animators are admirable artists the best at their craft and I do hope they continue to raise the bar with every one of their films. I love their artistic ability and if I'm truly honest, covet their technical prowess and artistic measure.
Pixar's artistic prowess alone within the field of animation stands apart but if you add to that their ability to story tell with emotion and humanity they move past many other production companies who produce non-animated film. Here in lies my "hate" relationship with Pixar. They are so good at showing the audience compassion, generosity, love and empathy that often (and I know I'm not alone here) I am moved within the film to choking back tears. I "hate" them for extracting emotions from their audience both young and old and causing me to contemplate humanity within the world around me. They began the "tradition" in Toy Story 2 when Jessie sings her "When She Loved Me," continued it in Finding Nemo and Wall-E, and have seemingly perfected it in UP. (Review soon to follow) On these occasions I'm glad that the lights are dimmed in those popcorn encrusted theaters, they at least give me a fighting chance of keeping what few "man cards" I have remaining. The one redeeming thing is that if there is a guy to take mine away I could justifiably take one from him as well for (probably) doing the same thing if not for being in the same theater. Yet I digress, movies nay film, are supposed to invoke feeling, to bring the community closer together, to point out an injustice in the world to tell a story. The Pixar crew does all of these things while making you laugh, smile, and feel good all at the same time.
So to the folks at Pixar keep doing what your doing and maybe, just maybe, you'll keep shattering box office records while continuing to remind those brave enough to admit it, of their humanity. The great filmmaker Stanley Kubrick once said that "Film is-or should be-more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." Well if that's the case then I hope the Maestros behind Pixar keep composing beautiful symphonies.
1 comment:
I trust anything Pixar touches. The creativity and the balls to go through with those creative ideas is remarkable.
The only other company I can recall to do CGI before Toy Story was VeggieTales. I rented probably the first VeggieTales last month and it was unwatchable due to the graphics. They have improved dramatically, but I think Pixar raised the bar and should be thanked by everyone for doing so.
I also like how they include Production Babies in the credits. I don't know why but I always look for that.
Post a Comment