Monday, May 18, 2009

"Fair-minded words"

5 Votes, 5 Topics, that's the result of the poll, therefore my conclusion is...blog more. I'll start off with religion and politics.

This past weekend President Obama gave a much anticipated speech at the Univeristy of Notre Dame. It was a commencement speech that was supposed to focus on the graduates of this prestigious University. However, it was overshadowed by controversy because President Obama, a pro-choice, politician was speaking at a Catholic university. There were petitions for and against the University's President, Rev. John I. Jenkins C.S.C , and his choice to continue the tradition of inviting the President of the U.S. to speak at Notre Dame's commencement. As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I can understand both points of view but I made a petition for understanding and constructive dialogue, as the President called, "fair-minded words." Very few can argue President Obama's oratory skill but I was quite impressed with his ability to speak rationally and compassionately about a very divisive and passionate subject. For those who are entrenched in divisive party and religious battle over the subject of abortion I pray, along with the President, that we as a nation, and as individuals can have, "Open Hearts. Open Minds. Fair-minded words." (Read the full transcript here)

The President says;

Maybe we won't agree on abortion, but we can still agree that this heart-wrenching decision for any woman is not made casually, it has both moral and spiritual dimensions.
So let us work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions, let's reduce unintended pregnancies. Let's make adoption more available. Let's provide care and support for women who do carry their children to term. Let's honor the conscience of those who disagree with abortion, and draft a sensible conscience clause, and make sure that all of our health care policies are grounded not only in sound science, but also in clear ethics, as well as respect for the equality of women." Those are things we can do.

Clearly President Obama is bucking the trend of wedge issues and divisive politics, as the Daily Show says "making us think." The politics of the past has been compartmentalized, diminutive and shrunk into 30 second TV spots but Obama is more than the 30 second TV spot and so are the issues of abortion, stem cell research, and the death penalty. The enigma of our new President is exciting to me and a general relief from divisive politics and mindless citizenship. Hopefully now we as a nation can engage in a civil dialogue and find some common ground and answers to some of our country's most difficult and divisive problems.

No comments: