Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Political Dreams

Alright I'm not quite sure why these are happening but I've been having political dreams lately. No not the kind that I dream that I'm president or governor or something, but dreams that actually involve politics all over them. These could be because it's just been a week since the biggest super, duper, crazy "super Tuesday" ever, it could be that since the writers' strike I've been watching a little too much West Wing, or it could be because I majored in Political Science and got a master's in Public Administration and I'm finally letting out my repressed ideas that dwell within my head and are trapped from a job in another completely unrelated profession. I'm not sure but in any case I'm having them.

Sunday night 2/10/08: The setting, a campaign stop somewhere on the east coast. (How do I know it's the east coast? There are seagulls and a lighthouse in the distance but the stage is on a rocky beach and it has red, white, and blue bunting that is so familiar with the political process) What happens, I'm a campaign manager for an unknown candidate and they screw up their stump speech. I have to then re-write it on the bus to the next stop while spinning reporters that is wasn't a policy switch just a little mis-speaking due to the windy beach and the sunny skies where the speech was given.

Monday night 2/11/08: The setting, a CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC or whatever debate stage with all the candidates left on it. No I'm not a candidate but am instead an "Anderson Cooper/Wolf Blitzer" like moderator. Only problem is I can only ask each one of the remaining candidates 1 question a piece. So I suppose I'll share the one question with you...
-Huckabee: You bill yourself as a Christian leader, how do you think this affects the separation of church and state and how do you see this interaction with those who are terrified of fundamentalists of any religion?
-McCain: Many voters see you as a moderate conservative, yet those within your own party see this as a drawback to the true conservative movement, do you see this as a chance to react to a growing independent electorate or as a hinderance to the dualistic nature of American politics to date?
-Clinton: (This was a weird one) What kind of animal would you classify yourself as, and to what characteristics do you attribute to this distinction?
-Obama: You have basically staked your entire campaign on the idea of hope, how, if elected, do you plan on continuing this idea through the muck of Washington politics?
Here's the weirdest part of the whole story...I didn't give myself an answer from each of the candidates...I tried...then the "channel changed" in my brain and I was then rescuing kids from a fire...after that I woke up.

So if any of you out there would like to play "Joseph" to my dreams, please feel free but try and tell me something I didn't know...like what they mean as opposed to why I dreamt these in the first place.

Who knows maybe they'll be "sweeter" dreams tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

stop eating before bedtime.

Joan said...

LOL at unnamed source's comment. But seriously, those are great questions. Maybe the one for Clinton is a little "out there" but now you've asked it, I wonder what her reply would be, and what it would say about her. :-P

All I know about dreams is that it's your subconscious working through stuff you haven't been able to fully address consciously. I'm no Joseph, but maybe it just means you're still trying to figure out who to vote for, whether you realize it consciously or not?

Ian said...

How weird. I wonder why Hillary got the softball.

For some reason I'm reminded of the article where they gave the candidates for mayor of San Francisco the questions from the Blade Runner's Voight-Kampff Test.

Klick4MU said...

Interesting comment Ian, kinda like the Bernard Pivot questionaire on the Actors' Studio.