Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not much to "mess" with...Texas

Alright so this past weekend my wife and I went down to Lubbock, Texas to visit a friend of ours from our undergraduate days at Mizzou. For what it's worth I didn't really see much to "mess" with down there. However, they did like to mess with me. What follows is the top 10 things I learned about "Western" Texas, this past weekend. I say "Western" because I hear the "Eastern" side is completely different. There were some good things too so I'm not going to completely rag on the state but anyway here's the Top 10 Things I learned about Texas this past weekend.

10. With the exception of the few cities it is really, really flat.
9. Lubbock's alcohol laws are really messed up! (elaboration below the list)
8. Texas state troopers have no wiggle room for out of state visitors
7. In Texas they have two different speed limits, one for day and one for night.
6. Texas Tech's campus is really spread out.
5. The "masked rider" and "Will Rogers" statue are two different things on the
Tech Campus.
4. Everything is bigger in Texas, including the obnoxious drivers.
3. Whataburger lives up to its name.
2. The local food in Lubbock is pretty good, but don't eat "Rosa's" before going on
a really long road trip.
1. No matter how many football championships, how many presidents, how many
anything... I still love my Missouri home.

The trip into Texas didn't start off that great to begin with because you see the speed limit in Oklahoma right before the state line is 75 so of course I was going 80. Anywho when you cross the state line it becomes 70 so of course I didn't see that and was still going 80. Well Texas' finest didn't care that I was from out of state and didn't care that I didn't see the sign, so anyone who would like to contribute to the Robert Klick legal defense fund please give me a call I'll be happy to take your donation.

However, the actual time spent in Lubbock went well. We had a great time catching up with our friend down there and eating at the local B-B-Q place for dinner on Friday night. From there she took us to the local hot spots, including "The Strip." "The Strip" is a story within itself. You see Lubbock is a dry county and you can buy beers and wine at the local bars and resturants but you can't buy beer or liquor at the store... you have to go outside the county to "the Strip." At "the Strip" you drive through and buy your alcohol. FUN!

Anywho, we then visited the campus at night and then although I'm not the biggest partier, we went to a bar called "The Spoon." The bar and band weren't too bad but the music, country/rock, could have been a little bit quiter and less "country"...yeah I know I'm getting old.

Anywho the next day we went back to the campus which was pretty nice (I have a weird thing about Campuses, I think they're like the American version of a castle) and then had "drive through Fajitas at "Rosa's" and then headed back. The long, long trip back. By the way Oklahoma Transit authority I want my dollars back from your toll roads your machine ate my dollars and when I called you weren't there! GOO

Sorry it's been a while between postings and that they've been so long...I'll try and get more frequent and less lengthy so the conversations that follow are longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the ticket - maybe it's time for a good radar detector? I got the Escort Passport 8500 X50 and I can't count the number of times it's saved me from dealing with gendarmes. Your experience in TX is funny, as every time I've ever been there people seemed to drive 90 on all the freeways (Dallas).

I guess you didn't see "the general" in Lubbock beating the hell out of anyone? That would have been cool.

Sounds like a cool trip though - I always love going somewhere and exploring new things.