Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A return to the blog-o-sphere (?) - A slight diversion

Yes it has been a while, a long while, since posting here and there are a great many things that I could post about; a recap of the past month, my most recent run, or even a movie review of Iron Man 2 (probably the next post out of the gate) but I think I'm gonna use this post to get a little sappy.

Can I just say; "I Love My Family" ? No really I do, the whole stinkin' mess of it. From my wife and daughter, brothers and mother(s), dads and dogs, aunts and "aunts", in-laws and "out-laws" (not really...that I know of), and my closest friends who are family too (you know who you are), I Love 'em all. Yes from time to time the extension of my family can get entangled in any number of things but the truth of the matter is I'm always happiest when I'm with them. I used to think that being with them was kind of a burden and while the travel constraints and time constraints sometimes are, being with them is worth it. I used think that I would be considered a failure if I didn't advance to the highest pinnacle of a career, to be the "best" at something, but I now think that I can find contentment and happiness with my family over the drag of the dog-eat-dog world of "business" life. I think if I'm the "best" father and husband, brother and friend that I can be that would be better than the best employee or (God forbid) boss. This doesn't mean that I'm not going to keep trying to be the best and to better myself, but it means that I now can reach back into the well of the fountain of family and strive to be the best "family man" I can.

People always say that having a kid changes you and well I guess it's somewhat true but I think that I'm constantly in a state of change so I would assume you can just add the experience to the list of changes. I will tell you this though, it's good now to add more love to the equation that is life. Her added smile, her ubiquitous laughter and her insatiable appetite for life, it seems like she never sleeps, just multiplies the joy in my life. The joys of family are innumerable but I think the true judge however, is what it's like when I'm not with my family. I'm a little more dismayed and definitely more irritable. "No man is an island" and I think I need to be connected to the mainland of family in order to thrive.

So for those family who are still reading and for those who aren't, just know that I Love You and if I haven't been with you in a while, I Miss You and you truly do enhance my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing man and I am SO thankful to be your family. Thank you for everything you do for us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Neesha and Dustin said...

We haven't known you all that long, Robert, but I agree with the above post. And from what I know and have met of your family, the apples don't fall far from the tree. Glad we've known you and don't delete us from your blog! We're still reading! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are back in the 'blog-o-sphere'! I have missed your blogs! Keep writing! Yes, you are doing a fantastic job as husband, daddy, brother, son, and just a 'family man'! ENJOY that little one!