Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Democratic Catholic's Tale

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

-The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America


With these words the forefathers of our nation valliantly tried to end the opression of others based upon religious belief or professed faith. However, that struggle against a religious tyranny, still exists today. The struggle exists in many forms including the role of prayer in public schools, the placement of memorials within our "public squares," and the role of religious theories within the debate of the origin of human kind. However, none of these questions more personally affects me more than the discussion of being a Catholic Democrat.


Most of the moral angst within the American Catholic stems from the pigeonholing of voters into strict voting blocks, not the least of which is the "pro-life"/"pro-choice" dichotomy. This sole division within American politics and the Church's insistance on taking a stand upon this wedge is, in my opinion, the foremost thought on the American Catholic Voter's mind certainally weighs upon mine when heading towards the voting booth and towards the pew. I however, refuse to be pigeonholed.


What does it mean to be "pro-life" though? Does it mean to fight entirely for the reversial of Roe vs. Wade? Does it mean to completely admonish and criminalize the use of stem cells in scientific research? Does it mean to oppose the death penalty? Does it mean to fight for the equity and fairness of all people, especially the poor? I believe that it must be a combination of all these questions and it must be a striving for a true "culture of life".


A "culture of life" is one that uses reason to account for matters of the mind and of the heart. While I mourn for the loss of life in abortion, as do most people I know regardless of party and religous affilliation, I also mourn for the loss of life for the impoverished and uneducated, the convicted and the dying, and the ill and oppressed.


The United States' Conference of Catholic Bishops, in their statement, "Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship" asserts to certain principles and is dedicated to the notion following;


"We are a nation founded on “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” but the right to life itself is not fully protected, especially for unborn children, the most vulnerable members of the American family. We are called to be peacemakers in a nation at war. We are a country pledged to pursue “liberty and justice for all,” but we are too often divided across lines of race, ethnicity, and economic inequality. We are a nation of immigrants, struggling to address the challenges of many new immigrants in our midst. We are a society built on the strength of our families, called to defend marriage and offer moral and economic supports for family life. We are a powerful nation in a violent world, confronting terror and trying to build
a safer, more just, more peaceful world. We are an affluent society where too many live in poverty and lack health care and other necessities of life. We are part of a global community facing urgent threats to the environment that must sustain us. These challenges are at the heart of public life and at the center of the pursuit of the common good.1"

My life, my experience, my heart, and my head lead me to the platform of the Democratic party. I choose not to be a one issue Catholic or a one issue Democrat because life isn't black and white it is many, many, many shades of gray. Yet if I am to try and act to bring good into the world I have to do so within the system, within the cards I am dealt. I lucklily am not a alone, yet if I was my convictions would still remain true and my heart remain at peace and I will sleep soundly at night. I support Barack Obama and I support my Catholic Faith that is who I am and that is who I continue to be.

Resources and articles to enhance the discussion or add to the debate:
National Catholic Reporter Article by Nicholas P. Cafardi

Article on (former St. Louis) Archbishop Burke's stance toward the Democratic Party

Reaganites for Obama by Douglas W. Kmiec

The Moral Duty to Inquire by Douglas W. Kmiec

United States Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship


Newsweek Article on Catholic Voting

Pew Forum

Battle for Catholic Voters, Time Magazine

2 comments:

Ricky said...

Wow, really nice work. The question of "What does being pro-life really mean?" comes up often for me. And usually I answer "There is no good answer." In fact, when people ask me what party I support I simply answer "I'm Catholic" and let them think what they think....mostly because I was afraid the old Archbishop would disapprove of some of my voter habits. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

It's really unfortunate that so many of the other issues get "covered up" by the pro-life debate. There are SO many issues, other than abortion, that are central to faith (any faith, not just Catholics). I think you did a great job laying it all out there and hope and pray that others think through all the issues.